Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Mekong Travel Ltd Vinh Long - recommended

• justwonderi-
    ng

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2009

We decided to make our own way down to the Delta (minibus) and base ourselves in Vinh Long province for 3 days, 3 nights, rather than flitting around the whole Delta. We went straight to Mekong Travel Ltd in Vinh Long and booked some homestays and a private guide for 2 days, 2 nights. they have a choice of homestays, a standard package includes 1 or 2 days guided tour of the island, Cai Be market etc and 1 night in a homestay of your choice. ($46-$60 for 2 people). Our guide was Anna and she was fantastic - great english and great company.
    We added on a 2nd night homestay ($15 per person per additional night including dinner and brekkie) and a days biking around the island (you can hire a guide for $10 a day effectively). Thoroughly enjoyable and highly recommended way to spend a day, but do start out early as if its sunny it gets very hot by lunchtme. 3rd night and day we went off with a friend of annas to stay at her family's home on a different island and spend a mornign cycling around there, which was an altogether authentic experience and the people down there are just incredibly hospitable and generous.

We found Mekong Travel Ltd to be very well organised and the homestays were excellent. Recommended.

#1 Posted: 27/10/2009 - 08:17

• Advertisement

• Lawoat

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

Hi there,

Do you know if they have a website available?
    And I was just wondering if the cycling around is part of the package deal or did you book this via another organisation?

Thanks

Lawoat

#2 Posted: 27/10/2009 - 16:50

• justwonderi-
    ng

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2009

Unfortunately they don't have a website that I"m aware of - I searched in vain myself! There is a fairly small amount of cycling involved in their package deal, as in about 20 minutes to half an hour (I forgot to add that it's cheaper if you want to join a group tour, as opposed to a private one like we did), but we wanted to do a full day of cycling so we added it on. The same company organised it - we just paid for an extra day of the guide's time ($10 a day between however many people) and $2 a day for cycle hire. Depending on how you arrange things there may or may not be a charge for an extra boat trip transfer ($5 a transfer per boat if needed). They're pretty flexible and their guide's time is cheap so you just tell them what you want to do and they'll sort it out. That's how it worked for us anyway.

#3 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 04:20

• Lawoat

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

Thanks...I'll see what I can arrange when I am on site...just 2 more weeks ;-)

#4 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 19:09

• jayanraj

Joined Travelfish
    7th November, 2009
    Location India

hi

i have planned vietnam on 26.11.2009 and will see mekong delta area thr' my tour operator. can u tell me how to get Mekong Travel Ltd's address in Vinh Long ?

jayanraj

#5 Posted: 8/11/2009 - 20:56

• justwonderi-
    ng

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2009

Their address is No 8, 1 Thang 5 St; which is down near where the boats for the islands leave from and close to the market and local bus station (which is different from where the Mai Linh buses stop apparently). We just got a taxi the 4-5 kilometres there from the Mai Linh bus station. Reid On Travel website also gives some info on Mekong Travel, which is where we found them... link here... http://www.reidontravel.com/mekong/vinh-long/vinh-long-basics/

#6 Posted: 9/11/2009 - 06:26

• cusefan97

Joined Travelfish
    12th December, 2009

How do you take a minibus to Mekong area from Saigon?

#7 Posted: 12/12/2009 - 10:34

• justwonderi-
    ng

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2009

We got a Mai Lyn (sp?) mini bus from Saigon, having gotten a taxi to their booking office to buy the ticket and they transferred us to the bus station from there. looks like you can buy tickets direct from the bus station too. There are other companies - we were booked on a different one coming back which was actually better as they arrived in a more central part of town than the southern bus station. I'm sorry I can't recall what the name of the company was.The cost was much the same though. I'd suggest you ask at your hotel reception in Saigon.

#8 Posted: 14/12/2009 - 03:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vinh Long - Mekong Delta ... By manna on 4 Apr 2007 1 3546 9 Apr 2007
Mekong tour: advices / companions in Vinh Long or Ben tre, now ? ... By juju007 on 21 Sep 2011 0 2446 21 Sep 2011
Mekong Delta - Tra Vinh ... By rdavout on 13 Sep 2008 0 2761 13 Sep 2008
Chau Doc to Vinh Long Bus? ... By fredrowe on 19 Jul 2011 1 2903 19 Jul 2011
buses to Chau Doc from CanTho and Vinh Long ... By joeandnicky on 7 Aug 2009 2 5969 7 Aug 2009
No renter for (motor)bikes in My Tho, Vinh Long, Can Tho? ... By jensmichael on 12 Aug 2009 2 2936 13 Aug 2009