Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

honeymoon advice please - southeast asia!

• honeymooner

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009

Hey,

Am looking forward to a really great honeymoon in summer 2010..Have always wanted to see japan, vietnam, cambodia, laos and maybe thailand (although after watching freaky programmes about the latter too many times, Im abit freaked out about it!). Anyway, I have about 5 weeks to spend in these places. I know this sounds abit crammed but beggars cant be choosers, and I'm a good crammer! Any advice from any of you experienced Asia explorers would be HUGELY appreciated...on Flight or Train/what to see or what not to see/where is safe/where isnt/nice hotels but not MADLY expensive/to book with an agency or to research & book myself on net/ANYTHING of interest!

Thanks a million (+ I'll return the favour on other forums based on places I know about!)
    Happy travels!
    : )

#1 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 06:18

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Five countries in five weeks?

Take a look at the itinerary section (in toolbar above) and perhaps some pointers on where you are flying in and out of. I'd be suggesting you pick fives places (one in each country) and fly between them -- look at low cost carriers for flights.

#2 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 10:21

• mic2

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Or you can do shoestring travel from Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia then back home...try doing some research about that... there are heaps of travel agencies arranging shoestring travel in those countries. In Vietnam itself there's gap, buffalo, and columbus adventure, among others. Good luck!

#3 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 11:52

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

Even for the worlds best crammer, five countries in five weeks is pushing it, and you're going to be on honeymoon. Even if you only stop in one place in each country for a week, you'll be looking at six full days of travel. With those distances you'll need to fly quite a bit, and that will eat into your budget more than a few nights extra accomodation would.
    I can only comment on Thailand as I have not been to the other countries on your list, but don't worry too much about the horror stories. Ten million tourists a year wouldn't flock there if we were all getting hassled, scammed, robbed and jailed the whole time. It is a beautiful country with attractions for everyone. Ancient cities and temples, bars and nightclubs, National parks and nature reserves, hill tribes and elephant treks, river and night markets, snake farms and cabaret shows, motorcycling and boat trips, rock climbing and scuba diving.... The list really is endless.
    I have two friends planning their honeymoon and my suggested itinerary for them looked something like this. Singapore for a night or two(depending on budget and where you're flying from), Bali for five days, fly to Phuket for a week. From Phuket you can do a lot of day trips to the surrounding islands. Over to Phi Phi for a night or two with the trip to "The Beach" thrown in. From Phuket to Samui, Koh Panghan and Koh Tao, two weeks here. Then from Samui up to Chiang Mai for three nights then to Bangkok for three more, fly out. Even this seems a bit busy for honeymooners and I fully expect them to find an island they like and just stay there for a month.
    Planning a holiday is extremely fun and I like to have a good idea of what I'm going to be doing, but its even more fun when you decide to chuck the plans and wing it. My advice is plan it all, but don't book everything, leave yourself some(a lot of)wiggle room, you're going to need it!
    Congratulations, and have a great honeymoon wherever you end up going.

#4 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 13:28

• Rohan

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

That is very ambitious.

Depends exactly what you want to see/experience I guess. I spent 4 weeks in Japan last year and I want to go back for more.

I think something like 2 weeks in Japan (Tokyo and Kyoto), 2 weeks in Vietnam ( Hanoi to Saigon) and 1 week in Cambodia (Phnom Penh and Angkor) would work. Don't know enough about Thailand and Laos to comment on those. That on its own would be a fairly crammed trip if that's the sort of honeymoon you want to have.

It also depends how much of the country you want to see. You could go to Japan, spend a week or so around Tokyo and say you've "done" Japan, but other parts of the country are very different. Likewise, Saigon and Hanoi are very different places. However, if you just want a small taste of each country, like Sontam says, lots of flights and one area in each country.

#5 Posted: 29/10/2009 - 07:32

• honeymooner

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009

Sontam, Mic2, Greenman, Rohan

Fair play to you guys, really appreciate the comments and am taking on a bit of advice from every one of you there......Like I said, have not set foot on Asian soil before and I really appreciate the help and advice because I want to make the very most of the trip....will keep ye all posted! Delighted with that help

Happy travels to all of you!....
    : )

#6 Posted: 31/10/2009 - 04:40

• honeymooner

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009

P.S. Is it possible or is it not a good idea to travel by train from Vietnam to cambodia? or has anyone here done that? I'm thinking flight from Japan to Vietnam and then trains.....or what kind of system is in operation? Or better still......to stop annoying all of you with these Qs, is there a particular site that you might recommend where I might find the answers to my Qs!!!!????
    Thanks a million again! : )

#7 Posted: 31/10/2009 - 04:47

• Rohan

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

Honeymooner

There are no trains between Vietnam and Cambodia (and indeed only one train in Cambodia, and it does not go to Angkor, the main tourist draw). It can be done by plane, bus or boat depending on what part of Vietnam you are coming from and what part of Cambodia you are going to.

If you want to travel be train, have a look at this site:

www.seat61.com

It is a great site for train travellers and has details on rail for every popular destination and more besides.

#8 Posted: 31/10/2009 - 06:17

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

You're on the correct site, keep the questions coming.

#9 Posted: 31/10/2009 - 12:31

• Hardaway

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2010

Me and my wife to be are looking at holiday destinations and so far we have :

Mexico to Hawaii, Cuba to the Bahama's, Tanzinia to Zanzibar, Mozambique to madagascar.

Perhaps either go one destination and then after a week, hop a flight to another as shown however we dont mind considering just one destination and spending our time there if its good enough.

#10 Posted: 2/2/2010 - 18:24

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Southeast Asia itinerary advice and Vietnam visa ... By Pete03 on 28 May 2013 2 911 1 Jun 2013
Seeking Advice on Eight Week Southeast Asia Itinerary! ... By brand0n on 25 May 2011 1 3430 25 May 2011