Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Youth Hostels in South Vietnam?

• pdrysdale

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

There are youth/backpackers hostels in Hanoi but what about when heading South?, in particular Hoi An, Ho Chi Minh City, and Nah Trang.
    It seems to be just guesthouses/hostels. Making it harder for the lone traveller to meet people :-(

#1 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 16:09

• Advertisement

• yayorc

Joined Travelfish
    23rd October, 2009

I'm headed to Vietnam in december for two weeks on my own, did you find any good hostels in Hanoi? I keep trying to book at The Drift but am getting no response to my email.

I would look at a lonely planet and see what their 'recommended' budget pick is for HCM, there are bound to be lots of younger travelers there.

#2 Posted: 29/10/2009 - 02:47

• mic2

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Pdrysdale, the backpackers area in Ho Chi Minh is Pham Ngu Lao and I doubt you cannot hang around other travelers if you know how to have fun. I stayed in Tan 58 guesthouse, just accross Go2 bar and I met heaps of friends just playing pool or sit down and have a drink. You do not have to worry being a lone traveller, even you just sit down at the bia hoi shops. In Nha Trang too, you'll meet lots of travellers especially if you hang around Redsun, Why Not, and sailing club on saturday night. It's a question of how to have fun because no one will hang around with people who is not fun to be with.

#3 Posted: 29/10/2009 - 15:58

• Pokol

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009

All hotels and guesthouses are backpacker's hostels. There are so many there's no need to book. They will follow you in the street to offer you accomodation and you will meet thousands of travellers in all of them. There are plenty of backpackers hostels in the south. I stayed at the Yellowhouse Hotel in HCMC, in Bui Vien St. It's cheap (7$ for a bed in a dorm, free internet and breakfast) and they're very efficient and nice! Airport pickups to and from the airport are cheap and reliable if booked with them too.

So, don't worry, most of them are 24hours reception (they live there anyway and believe me, they rather not sleep than lose a customer) so just enjoy it and don't worry much about accomodation. That's my advice anyway.:)

#4 Posted: 2/11/2009 - 18:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Youth/Backpackers hostels in Southern Islands of Thailand? ... By pdrysdale on 28 Oct 2009 9 2483 30 Oct 2009