Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Vietnam Motor Bike Ride - Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi

Posted by ozscott on 2/11/2009 at 09:05

Folks,

Planning on doing a motor bike ride from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi sometime next May to August 2010. Planning on landing in Ho Chi Minh, and taking 2+ weeks to ride to Hanoi. I'll be travelling with a friend on seperate bikes, we're both experienced road riders in Australia for many a year now, and I personally have already motor bike riden in the likes of Hanoi previously, and don't forsee any riding experience issues in Vietnam in doing this trip (other than getting lost). I'm planning on buying a good quality 2nd hand, newer, 110cc bike (Honda), and doing approximately 100-150 klms a day with maybe a day break here and there every 3-4 days.

My question, has anyone out there in TravelFish land already undertaken such a bike ride, or have any comments to make on doing such a bike ride - good or bad?

Your thoughts will be appreciated - regards...

OzScott

#1 ozscott has been a member since 21/1/2007. Posts: 18

Posted by c1ee on 2/11/2009 at 10:23

Hi oz

I am going on such a trip by myself from Thursday. i have no prior riding experience. ill tell you how it goes

#2 c1ee has been a member since 13/5/2009. Posts: 15

Posted by ozscott on 2/11/2009 at 12:54

Hi c1ee,

Thanks for your reply...

Care to elaborate what you're actually doing, how you've organised, where your going to-from, how your sourcing your bike etc... a bit more info would be great.

Thanks

#3 ozscott has been a member since 21/1/2007. Posts: 18

Posted by dezztroyer on 16/11/2009 at 16:41

Rode for 4 days along the highway and byways of central Vietnam.
Main drama is keeping your eyes open and watching for the inevitable bus or truck swinging out to overtake when there is no room. Just keep on the right shoulder of the road, don't ride in the middle of the right lane. At the speed a 110 does on the road, vehicles come up very quickly on you from behind.
Most dangerous thing, 5 aoi dai wearing college girls riding abreast across the road. Nearly wiped myself out a couple a times not watching were I was going.......

#4 dezztroyer has been a member since 29/7/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 22

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.