Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Post-Storm Situation - Advice Needed

• Marlbs

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2009

I am supposed to be flying from Vientianne to Hanoi next week to then travel down the coast to HCM and across to Cambodia. I have just heard about the storm. Anyone there got more detailed info on the areas affected and how bad it is - ie should I avoid Vietnam altogether, delay or just pick a different route. The info on the net is very general and vague. Thanks.

#1 Posted: 3/11/2009 - 18:34

• Advertisement

• NYTim

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

I just returned from travelling the length of Vietnam. There is no visible damage from the storm. Hotel, bars and clubs are open as are all the tourist sites.

#2 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 00:45

• squae

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009

I dont understand the last persons comments!

I have seen the news and it appears that large areas are extremely flooded, has this subsided completely already?

Also surely that has caused major disruptions & damage to resorts!

I am in the process of booking at the moment and would hugely appreciate a head up on areas which have been affected.

For example is Nha Trang a no go at the moment?, also has it affected other areas Hoi An and Hue in particular?

Thanks In advance for any news

#3 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 06:10

• Rohan

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

There were floods in central Vietnam back in the middle of the year. These are probably what NYTim is referring to. However, there has also been flooding in the past week or so which is probably what squae is referring to.

Whilst I haven't been there yet, I have seen postings on Thorn Tree about trains and buses being out between Hoi An and HCMC.

#4 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 06:49

• squae

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009

Yep,

talking about the Typhoon, which has kiled between 16 and 23 people and they expect the death toll to rise to like 40.

This occurred a couple of days ago.

Does anyone have information about which areas exactly have been affected ?

#5 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 10:20

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

There have been a number of serious storms in central Vietnam in the last few months. There has been flooding a number of times, though, in the cities at least, the Vietnamese clean up surprisingly quickly. The poster who says everything is normal has missed any flooding or serious effects of the weather and it is likely you will too by the time you get there.

Hanoi and Saigon would not be affected by the storms in the centre and I don't think all the central tourist towns were either. You will partly have to play it by ear and may have to miss somewhere, but probably only if there's another storm.

Although Hanoi and the north could be cold by this time of year, further south you will mostly find it warm, and quite hot by the time you reach Saigon. Like everywhere in the world now weather tends to be less predictable with more extreme events.

#6 Posted: 5/11/2009 - 08:34

• effi_kiki

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2009

Oh dear im planning on taking the train from Saigon to Hanoi, does anyone know if this is still running??

Cheers
    KIki

#7 Posted: 6/11/2009 - 05:07

• mojopac

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

We were supposed to be flying to Nha Trang last Tuesday but the flights were cancelled due to the cyclone. Insterad we stayed in HCMC, very nice town.Check Viet Nam News (a daily English newspaper) http://vietnamnews.vnanet.vn 04/11/09 front page news..through until today..over 100 dead & missing. A Korean guy I met last night in our hotel was also cancelled but as he had business in Nha Trang he drove up, 9 hours. He has all the photos of the massive flooding on his laptop and is posting them to me ( to help my insurance claim for flights, hotel etc). Flight appear to have resumed but it is a problem.
    I don't know what country NYTim is in. Check the website for the Viet Nam News and get the latest.
    Meanwhile, it fine and balmy in HCMC.
    EXCEPT for the Vinasun taxi driver who just tried to rip us off for a ride from Ben Thanh Mkt to the Caravelle Hotel. 10 minute walk or $1 - 2 USD fare....he tried to get us for 4000,000 Dong ( around $30!!!) I told him to piss off and gave him $1.This is the only slight bit of drama in what is a terrific city with great people. The market is fantastic and the stallholders lovely people.

#8 Posted: 7/11/2009 - 10:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.