Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

train from saigon to hanoi: scenic or just plain boring??

• effi_kiki

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2009

Hi, Ive been comparing flights with trains for this journey , and as theyre both roughly the same price, I'm not sure which to take. I know the train takes ages, but I think this might be fun as it goes all the way up the coast (or so ive heard) but obviously I dont want to do it if theres not much to see/ its an uncomfortable journey.

If anyone has any experiences or has heard about the train journey that would be really helpful:)
    cheers
    Kiki.

#1 Posted: 8/11/2009 - 00:51

• Advertisement

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

Personally, I love the train and find it more comfortable than most trains I've travelled on (if you go soft seat or soft sleeper). You wouldn't want to do the trip from Saigon to Hanoi all in one go, but I find the scenery quite interesting, and really beautiful in places. You can also go overnight for much of its length so you don't need to have more than a few hours of looking out the window. Check seat61.com for more information.

#2 Posted: 8/11/2009 - 13:32

• effi_kiki

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2009

#3 Posted: 8/11/2009 - 18:58

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

My vote is: train is scenic, but boring, and very very long. Just going from Da Nang to Saigon felt like it would never end. And Jetstar is oh so cheap.

But hey, the train experience is always good once in a while, and there are certainly some great views, especially the cliffs around central Vietnam. One issue is that, from my experience, you really can't see much out of the window of the sleeper compartments, and the Vietnamese generally insist on keeping the windows shut. Those compartments can be pretty tight, and sometimes you can find a regular seat on the train so you can go back and forth, but other times you can't. Bathrooms on train are also pretty dirty, though there is always soap. Just some things to consider...

#4 Posted: 9/11/2009 - 08:47

• rubic

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Take a night train is more interesting than a day train. But it was quite boring when I have to stay on train for almost 40 hours.

I agree with Dluek, just take a part of train journey if you want to experience because the scenery in the south is so beautiful and you can gain insight magnificent views when train pass some of the most famous pass in Vietnam such as Hai Van Pass, Ca Pass. take the flight will save you much time.

#5 Posted: 9/11/2009 - 11:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Most scenic bus and train journeys in SE Asia ... By SBE on 17 Jul 2009 11 5073 20 Jul 2009
Train from Hanoi to Saigon..Hop ON/OFF ... By CRASHT1224 on 5 Mar 2010 16 10956 11 Jul 2011
saigon to hanoi by train ... By waynedundas on 13 Feb 2007 1 2522 9 Mar 2007
any tips - taking the train Saigon to Hanoi?? ... By msk100 on 13 Apr 2008 2 14770 14 Apr 2008