Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

vietnam blocks facebook

• maria_s

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 8

Posted from within Vietnam.

I arrived in vietnam today coming from indonesia, and not only did I leave warm weather behind but also freedom of speech!

apparently some of the major providers followed an order by the Vietnam’s Ministry of Public Security and blocked facebook:

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-354181

didn't know that it was that bad here. am shocked. wanna go back. too much traffic here in hanoi, too.

#1 Posted: 16/11/2009 - 15:46

• Advertisement

• justjess

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2009

I've been in Vietnam for a couple days now- Muang Xen, Vinh, and now Ninh Binh. Facebook has been unaccessable in every city. It's a bummer because over months of traveling, it's been my main source of communication to friend's and family back home. I haven't been able to find any more information on the issue, and I don't know how reliable ireport is. Government censorship at work I suppose?

Try using facebook mobile: http://m.facebook.com
    I'm sure it's only time before they ban this version as well.

#2 Posted: 16/11/2009 - 19:47

• xquisitecor-
    pse

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2009

we were using facebook here ok up until couple days ago - then it started becoming hard to log in. Assumed it was just crappy wifi. But now cannot open even mobile facebook.

#3 Posted: 16/11/2009 - 21:49

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

perhaps view it as a sign to dig in and enjoy your trip and not be so attached to accessing technology and social networking. FB is addictive and a serious time-eater, I see it in friends and family and I just don't get. I found FB to be mildly entertaining for about a month, and an effective way to get in touch with lost friends, etc, but my life is busy and full, thankfully I don't have the time to keep up with all the FB goings on, hourly postings, Mafia games, kid pix, viral videos, and the myriad causes and groups one is asked to join. Stay in touch with good old fashioned email. Enjoy your travels, rant over.

#4 Posted: 16/11/2009 - 22:17

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Freedom of speech is something many of us take for granted...It's sad that something like this has happened.

However, I agree with Cunning, enjoy your trip without the electronic leash!

Email hasn't been blocked....yet

#5 Posted: 17/11/2009 - 00:24

• akare

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2009

Hello all, although I can certainly apreciate enjoying a trip without technology, I can understand someone's preference for facebook.
    Its a quick and easy way to reach people. E-mail works, but it is a matter of personal choice, same as sending good old paper letters anyway.

What is most important here is the censorship issue. To all of you in Vietnam, I hope you'll find access soon. Have you tried bpassing the firewalls with Firefox add ons or with FB set in other languages other than english?

#6 Posted: 17/11/2009 - 09:59

• maria_s

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 8

using fb is not stopping me from enjoying travelling; like many others here, I just find it an easy and fast way to communicate and also to gather information/recommendations on travelling itself.

as akare stated, the critical and bothering issue here is censorship. I tried proxy.org which only worked for a short time and not really well.

#7 Posted: 17/11/2009 - 17:42

• justjess

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2009

"Stay in touch with good old fashioned email" ehh, hardly an argument.Internet is internet. As a mid-twenty year old, I personally see Facebook as a more efficient and immediate way to keep in contact- most people this age check their Facebook waaaay more than their email accounts anyways. It's also a great way of quickly uploading pictures, which my momma appreciates (don't ask me why she has a FB account, I have no idea). Using it as so, travels can be enjoyed whether sending an email or a quick Facebook log on. My hotel here offers free internet, which beats paying the 20 or 30 cents for an international phone call.

The mobile page is still up and going here in Ninh Binh. Still, can't do much complaining. Part of being a traveler is understanding that we sacrifice our own cultural and political freedoms in order to experience another. Best of luck to everyone out there! At least it may make for a good story when you get home :)

#8 Posted: 17/11/2009 - 19:56

• magicpixiejo

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2009

Guys...you can access FB by going to www.lite.facebook.com and accessing a slimmed down version. I have been using it the past 2 weeks and can send messages and write wall posts and all that basic stuff. Is better than nothing! (Although am quite enjoying not being in contact as frequently as I normally am!) I had a few problems logging in through this site the first time but after about 5 attempts it worked and now I have no probs accessing.

#9 Posted: 5/12/2009 - 14:50

• Dayvit78

Joined Travelfish
    7th November, 2009

You can just as easily change your IP settings - all my coworkers do that and continue to play barn buddy, cafe world, sunshine ranch, etc. (during work hours no less). When I first started having problems accessing facebook, I automatically assumed it was because our company blocked it because of all the time it was wasting, but then we saw the leaked government file.

For me, I've been able to access facebook at home for about 2 minutes before it shuts off, but at work, I use facebook lite.

#10 Posted: 9/12/2009 - 12:02

• Advertisement

• jubinell

Joined Travelfish
    6th December, 2009

Try this:

http://congdongblog.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10040

#11 Posted: 9/12/2009 - 14:42

• hasherjoe34

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2009

try using opera.com but it's a bit slow though... facebook lite is quite fast

#12 Posted: 9/12/2009 - 15:56

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

FYI - Not sure what the story in Vietnam is these days for accessing Facebook, but I just (belatedly) read that Facebook Lite is no longer available. It was taken down in April apparently.

http://www.facebook.com/facebook?v=wall&story_fbid=110629035639137

(Apologies for double-posting in multiple threads, but just updating for the sake of sharing info...)

#13 Posted: 20/7/2010 - 07:43

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

I'm not sure what my ISP is doing in Vietnam but Facebook is again being block, even when using OpenDNS. The page loads but nothing appears, it's like the content has been stripped out. I can ping etc. Facebook's server and I know the route to it is intact. I tried in another location and the laptop works fine there with no DNS change, so definitely something my ISP has implemented in the last week or so.

Shame they haven't managed to stop me though.... :D I have found a work around for use at my home; takes a couple of seconds to do when the page doesn't load and like magic the requested page appears. :-)

#14 Posted: 22/7/2010 - 13:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.