Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Which National Park to visit in Vietnam?

Posted by cheeco on 17/11/2009 at 16:47

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hello everyone!

I am just wondering which National Park is the best to visit in Vietnam? My husband and I are looking for best wildlife, easily accessible, and easiest to navigate (preferably with a guide). We are not big into hiking, nor do we have the equipment to be serious about it (running shoes only). 2 days would be fine.

I have checked out these, and think they could be good, but looking for people to respond that have actually been to these places:

Ba Be
Bach Ma
Ba Vi
Phong Nha-Ke Bang (for the caves)

Thanks a bunch! Any info will be helpful!
Robyn

#1 cheeco has been a member since 22/4/2009. Posts: 29

Posted by violets on 17/11/2009 at 22:49

Cuc Phung, near Ninh Binh, is pretty good. If you just go for the day you can do a couple of short walks and see the primate rescue centre or you could stay overnight and do a longer walk.

You can also do a fabulous walk across Cat Ba national park, but it's much harder.

I don't know that you'll see many animals in any park.

Phong Nga caves is quite different. The only walking you'll do is up the hill to the big cave. With the other caves you're mostly on a boat.

#2 violets has been a member since 6/7/2009. Posts: 151

Posted by cheeco on 19/11/2009 at 12:51

Thanks a lot for your info!!

#3 cheeco has been a member since 22/4/2009. Posts: 29

Posted by Pablot on 22/11/2009 at 08:19

There are no major animal attractions in Vietnam - by this I mean big game, etc. - which would draw in these tourists and also help to save the parks from being plundered!

I am familiar with Bach Ma and it is simple and lovely for a visit - but expect to do some hiking to get off the beaten track! This park is reasonably good for bird watching in season. There are some old French built houses which have been rebuilt as Inns; I feel the most reasonable (yet basic) is the Government accommodation at about 200,000 VND per night.

VN has not really done much for hiking or nature walking. Sadly the Park authorities seem to think karaoke is required so even at Bach Ma (which is one of the best parks) there is a karaoke built but unused when I was there!

#4 Pablot has been a member since 4/5/2009. Posts: 102

Posted by VietRoos on 16/12/2013 at 05:18

Hope I can 'up' this thread instead of creating a new one.

Any recent experiences at Bach Ma NP? I'm thinking of visiting the park in january.

I'm nog in great shape so I'm a bit worried about the hiking; are the paths real steep? Are there more easy hikes (on the beaten track)? Is it worth staying the night?

#5 VietRoos has been a member since 9/12/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by Juha_H on 18/12/2013 at 14:22

Hi,

Is there any wildlife animal sanctuaries near Ho Chi Minh? I love nature and would like to visit some of the national park in January when arriving back from Cambodia. Is it necessary to book a tour guide to national parks, or should I just find my way with local transportation? Anything else to keep in mind before entering national park?

Thanks in advance.

#6 Juha_H has been a member since 13/12/2013. Posts: 21
 Website 

Posted by NorahKat on 19/12/2013 at 10:33

You can take a look at Gao Giong Bird Garden or Tam Nong Bird Garden in Dong Thap province. It can be an exciting memory for you coz this is the home of thousands kinds of bird and significant view of course. It can be a good choice during these holidays in Vietnam.

#7 NorahKat has been a member since 19/12/2013. Posts: 17

Posted by Juha_H on 22/12/2013 at 08:49

Hi,

Do you have some links where can I find directions how to get to the bird gardens? And how to get to Phnon Nha-Ke Bang from Ho Chi minh city? I don't have car and I'm travelling to those places alone.

Thank you very much for tips :-)

#8 Juha_H has been a member since 13/12/2013. Posts: 21
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.