Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Christmas in Ho Chi Minh

• liamjobrien

Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2007

Hi,

Me and my two friends are going to be in Ho Chi Minh for Christmas day and I was wondering would anyone have any recommendations of what to do? And more importantly where to go for Christmas dinner?

Regards,
    Liam.

#1 Posted: 19/11/2009 - 00:55

• Advertisement

• bobnorm

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2009

Hi Liam,

I am in the same boat, will be in Hanoi for Christmas. I looked up the local Irish bar, if you get stuck you could try the one in HCMC:

Sheridans Irish House, 19 Le Thanh Tom St

No idea if its any good or not.

#2 Posted: 19/11/2009 - 03:54

• Vietnam720

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009
    Location Singapore

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just hang around the city or particularly the Notre Dame Cathedral where the locals congregate. Good for lots of pictures but bad for the lungs due to the traffic jams :-)

#3 Posted: 19/11/2009 - 08:39

• SaigonDaze

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2009

All the 5* hotels will have special Christmas Dinner buffets, but they will be $$$.

What type of food are you looking for? Plenty of good places to eat in Saigon.

#4 Posted: 22/11/2009 - 01:13

• liamjobrien

Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2007

Thank you for all your comments. I'm looking for a turkey and ham Christmas dinner, this is the traditional Christmas dinner in Ireland, and I think Christmas would feel strange without it :)

what is the tradition in Vietnam?

#5 Posted: 22/11/2009 - 16:49

• dapperchase

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2009

Hi Liam

I will be in and around Ho Chi Minh for christmas aswell and not to sure where i will be spending the day for christmas lunch!!! So if u find or hear of anything good give me a shout and let me no, who no's i mite meet u for a christmas beer lol

cheers Tim

#6 Posted: 24/11/2009 - 01:48

• travellingt-
    ina

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2009

Traditionally Vietnam is predominantly buddhist so they don't celebrate Xmas. But tell that to the hundred or thousands of kids who line up to see Santa. And I think I've seen more fake snow in HCMC than anywhere in Oz. Any of the larger hotels will have an expensive but delicious Xmas dinner. If you can't afford that maybe a cocktail at one of the ritzy hotels would be a lovely start. A walk down any of the lanes around Pham Nu Lao Street will flush out plenty of Europeans to celebrate with. Enjoy

#7 Posted: 24/11/2009 - 04:36

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

There is a good chance that I'll be in HCMC as well. Maybe we need a Travelfisher Orphan Xmas catch-up!

#8 Posted: 8/12/2009 - 23:51

• marie7

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2011

Hi,

Myself and my 3 friends will be in HCMC for xmas, and were looking for Christmas dinner and most importantly craic. does anyone know anything about Sheridans Irish pub? Is it a busy spot, does it do traditional irish food? Because in that case sure we might just go there for the day! might bump into some of you other xmas orphans!
    Share the joy if you find somewhere to have a turkey/ham dinner and a session!

Regards,
    Marie

#9 Posted: 2/12/2011 - 06:34

• peuge

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2011

Hey guys!

There's another thread of this subject:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/vietnam/16188_christmas-alone-in-hcmc-

If you're interested to get together, ask to join this facebook group I created:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/xmashcmc/

Don't know how tradiotional christmas dinner we are going to have, but I can guarantee a good company. :D
    We have a quite international pack there!

Pekka
    Finland

#10 Posted: 5/12/2011 - 03:00

• Advertisement

• asia4life

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2011
    Location Sweden
    Places visited:
    At least 111

Last year me and my husband visit the Check pub "Golden Prague" (also called LAN AHN a private sport club) in district 3. X-mas eve (24/12) they had a party, but you needed to buy a ticket in advance (day before is early enough). The ticket included cold, hot and sweet buffé food with 50 dishes (european and vietnam) and free beer, they brew their own delicious dark and golden beer (of course, if you want to drink water or soda that was ok as well) The party held outside, with a scene with entertainment, including guests participating in some simple plays. Since we were the only farangs, we have to participate, but they also made sure we got a winning prize (which was a rather huge discount on our next visit to the restaurant)

I can highly recomend it, specially if you are a group going. On your own, you may not feel comfortable seating alone on a table

I tried to add the original invitation from last year, but the Viatnemese fonts are not read correctly

#11 Posted: 8/12/2011 - 00:17

• peekel

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2011

Hey everyone, my cousin and I are arriving in HCMC on Dec 22 and we are planning to spend Christmas in Hanoi . Do you think that is a good choice? Will there be activities happening for Christmas in Hanoi or are we better off to stay in HCMC and celebrate there instead? We are actually spending the whole holidays until New Years but hoping to hop on to Cambodia after Hanoi. I'm looking forward to suggestions you guys might have for our trip, seeing this will be our first time and we would want to get the most out of the trip. Hope to hear from you guys!

#12 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 07:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.