Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Flying to Hanoi and taking night train to Lao Cai on the same day.

• ngg18

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2008

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could tell me if it is feasible and practical to fly from Can Tho to Hanoi , arriving at 6:20pm and then going straight to the train station to take the night train to Loa Cai at 9:55?

If possible I would like to avoid having to stay in Hanoi for a night. I guess there would be no problem getting to the train station in time, however can I just buy tickets (soft sleeper)b when I get there or should I buy well in advance? If so, what is a reliable place to book?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 04:23

• Advertisement

• Puggles

Click here to learn more about Puggles
    Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009
    Location Australia

Given your time frame, I would say 'yes, it is possible'. However, I am not sure I would risk waiting until then to purchase the tickets. You often will not be able to secure tickets so late.

Everywhere we wnet, we were advised to purchase soft sleeper tickets at least 2 days prior to departure to ensure we could get tickets.

#2 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 05:15

• ngg18

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2008

Thank you Puggles for your reply.

What is the best method for buying tickets a few days beforehand. Could I get tickets sent to my hotel in Can Tho? I am interested in buying soft sleeper tickets but have read that some travel agencies will charge you for soft sleeper but then send out tickets for a lower class. How can I avoid this?

Thanks

#3 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 13:15

• Puggles

Click here to learn more about Puggles
    Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009
    Location Australia

In each case that we travelled by train or bus, we asked the hotel we were staying at to book our tickets.

We had no issues at any time. We travelled by soft sleeper twice, soft seat once and sleeper bus. I recall one hotel charged us a minimum booking fee. To be honest, everything was that cheap we didn't care.

#4 Posted: 2/12/2009 - 08:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
any tips - taking the train Saigon to Hanoi?? ... By msk100 on 13 Apr 2008 2 14336 14 Apr 2008
Flying into Bangkok at night ... By kfroh on 11 Mar 2011 13 3488 16 Mar 2011
Flying into HCMC late at night ... By Caripito on 6 Sep 2009 3 2235 30 Nov 2009
Flying into Phuket late at night. Where to stay? What is our best option? ... By mchrysler on 5 Mar 2010 10 5942 10 Mar 2010
taking our scooters on an overnight train ... By paudie1987 on 27 Feb 2013 1 1543 3 Mar 2013