Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Totally Amateur Questions about Ha Long...

• justdroppin-
    gby

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2009

A friend and I will be in Hanoi for 6 nights. Wanted to spend 2 of them at Ha Long Bay.

1. What do I do with my bag? Do I book a hotel in Hanoi for 4 nights and bring all my stuff with me to Ha Long? Or is that asking for trouble? Should I book a room for 6 nights, even though I won't be there for 2 of them, just to have a place to leave my stuff? That seems silly. What's the typical M.O. for a trip to Ha Long?

2. Should we arrange a trip through our hotel? Or will there be cheaper alternatives? I'd love to spend around $80USD per person, if possible.

I did read the Travelfish articles on backpacking and flashpacking Ha Long, but I wanted to get some other opinions... especially regarding the bag situation.

#1 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 22:02

• Advertisement

• scottyheath-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

This doesn't answer your question but I thought I'd share it anyway. A friend of mine did a Halong Bay trip in September and some people from their boat had their cameras and other stuff pinched from their cabins while they were off the boat kayaking. It's an interesting point that I hadn't really thought of before she told me and as we'll be travelling straight from Halong Bay to Hoi An via train, we won't have a hotel in which to store our belongings so everything we have will be with us on the boat.

This leaves the question of what to do with our valuables. I think one of the problems is that the boat keeps picking up different passengers throughout the trip and it might not be safe to leave things in your cabin. But where to put them???

#2 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 01:49

• justdroppin-
    gby

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2009

I just bought the pacsafe TravelSafe 100. haven't gotten it yet, but i have feeling it was a good investment.

#3 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 02:06

• candyman

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2009

I would personally bring my bags with me, but I usually pack pretty light. If that isn't an option, most guest houses would let you leave your things there if you have a reservation when you return. You would have to trust the guesthouse and I recommend taking anything valuable with you and just leaving unnecessary clothing.

You can book directly from a guesthouse or go to one of the many travel agencies--they will all be more than happy to get you a ticket. I actually got a guarantee on my tour, I paid half before I left and the other half when I returned as they promised we would enjoy it and that it was a nice junk (boat).

If you do book through your guesthouse, you can use how many nights you will be at the guesthouse to hopefully lower your cruise price as well, but then again I'm pretty shameless when it comes to getting a few bucks off.

#4 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 03:50

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Posted from within Vietnam.

We packed our daypack, and left out main packs at the cruise company office (Columbus). But we could have left them our our hotel as well since we were returning for another 2 nights.

I also lock up my packs up when I leave the room (or boat cabin) regardless of the type of place. If the room is serviced, there is no temptation if stuff is locked or hidden away. It's a habit that I set for myself each time I leave the room.

I have left my main pack several times along my travels so that I could only carry my day pack for a few days. Haven't had a problem yet.

#5 Posted: 3/12/2009 - 20:42

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I don't understand why you would book your hotel for 6 nights? Just book for the first 2 and the last 2, and leave your pack at the hotel while you are at Halong Bay (or with the Halong Bay tour company if you feel their office is appropriate). That's what most people at our hotel have done, and what the people on our HB tour did.

Having said that, be sure to only pay for the first 2 nights when you go to Halong Bay. Don't pay for the last 2 nights as you may find your reservation goes a bit haywire when you return. In our case, apparently no one checked out of the hotel on the day we arrived back from Halong Bay so they took us to their 'sister hotel' around the corner. I wasn't too impressed as the hotel, while OK, wasn't as good as they first one. But they did reduce the price by 2 days.

#6 Posted: 4/12/2009 - 21:25

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Just re-read my last comment. It should have finished up by saying that the cost was reduced by 2 dollars, not 2 days!

#7 Posted: 9/12/2009 - 21:41

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just a quick note I've deleted a bunch of spammers accounts out of this thread, so some of the comments left don't make a lot of sense -- sorry.

Worth keeping in mind that if a business is happy to have their employees spam a travel forum pretending to be guests, that you're probably well advised to take your business elsewhere.

#8 Posted: 10/12/2009 - 10:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.