Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Teaching English in Vietnam

• corvusblue

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2009

Hi Everyone,
    My partner and I are currently in the US but would like to relocate to either Vietnam or Thailand to teach English. I was wondering if anyone can suggest language centers in either Thailand or Vietnam and/or share their experiences teaching in either country. Thanks so much!

#1 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 06:26

• Advertisement

• Pablot

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Note due to recent changes in regulations only 3 month visas are officially available for foreigners.

Vietnam welcomes tourists.

Also if you are an investor and able to meet requirements for investment or business visa then you are welcomed.

I am sure there are language centers in most major cities and towns and many offer teaching positions. Finally it is the visas that will control what you do in VN.

#2 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 07:32

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Interesting input on the visas Pablot. I'm assuming there are no changes to the rules about extending visas while in Vietnam, which as far as I know may be done for as long as one wishes to stay?

I have never taught English in either place, but I've thought about and researched doing it in both places for years (maybe some day). Both seem to be rewarding in their own ways, but financially speaking Vietnam seems far better. Hourly wages for native English speakers are surprisingly high, and of course cost of living so cheap. Vietnam is known for being one of the better places in Asia for saving money while teaching, only behind Taiwan, Korea, and probably Japan.

Thailand on the other hand is not the best place financially speaking, but there are still a plethora of jobs to choose from there. If you have a 4 year degree, TEFL certification, plus some sort of related experience, you can certainly land a job pulling in 60,000 baht/month in Bangkok and live very comfortably. www.ajarn.com is a great website for teaching in Thailand. Also check out the recent feature on this subject here on Travelfish if you haven't already.

In both places I believe it is wise to try and get into private tutoring... I've heard of people making the best possible money by tutoring foreigners (such as from Japan or Korea) who are used to paying higher prices for good tutors.

If money is not a main concern, it would only depend on which place you feel is right for you. For me, that is the toughest decision.

Good luck

#3 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 11:04

• ngg18

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2008

Hello,

I spent 6 months in Can Tho teaching English. Not too many opportunities there but I heard it is very easy to find a lot of work in the big cities (Hanoi and HCMC, and apparently Hue too). Recently the visa conditions have changed. From what I have heard, it is now now more difficult to get a visa renewal, especially if you don't have a work permit. Without a work permit your maximum is a 3 month visa (which of course can be extended). I think with work permit it is 6 months at a time.

I hope this helps somewhat. Check out Daves ESL Cafe. Or look for some other Vietnam ESL forums for more more info. Good luck

#4 Posted: 3/12/2009 - 16:05

• Pablot

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

As I understand new visa regulations came into effect 1 September 2009.

There will be the usual scams and bribery that takes place; but there is a very clear signal now being sent that only foreigners with valid reasons (business, employment, marriage, etc.) can expect to stay longer than 3 months in VN.

I understand it may be possible to extend, but unclear how many extensions will be tolerated.

All I am saying is before you sell the house, give away the dog and move to VN please carefully consider visa regulations!

#5 Posted: 3/12/2009 - 19:21

• corvusblue

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2009

Thanks, everyone!

#6 Posted: 4/12/2009 - 09:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Teaching english in Vietnam ... By JackHammer on 11 Jun 2010 3 2768 21 Jun 2010
Teaching English in Vietnam - Where to start? ... By gingermark on 3 Mar 2010 4 14087 22 Apr 2011
Teaching English in Thailand ... By corvusblue on 1 Dec 2009 14 4105 4 Mar 2010
Teaching English in Thailand ... By biissir on 28 Feb 2012 3 1297 29 Feb 2012
teaching English In Indonesia ... By samsie23 on 1 Nov 2010 2 3405 18 Jan 2011
teaching english in loas ... By kimmistaus on 11 Dec 2006 3 2459 12 Dec 2006
New story: Teaching English in Thailand ... By somtam2000 on 23 Feb 2009 0 3355 23 Feb 2009
English teaching in northern Laos ... By johnm on 27 Jan 2011 19 5852 27 Oct 2011
Long-term English Language Teaching Volunteer Wanted in Siem Reap ... By mrdome on 22 Apr 2011 2 4295 25 Apr 2011