Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Mekong tours pre-book or not ?

• freebird

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2009

We are planning on flying from Phu Quoc to Rach Gia on 19 Dec and was wondering if it is necessary to book anything, or will we just be able to make our way through the mekong on public transport etc. without booking anything... ?
    Is it better to stay on a boat overnight, or a hotel?

What is a homestay I keep hearing about ?

Thanks guys ! peace

#1 Posted: 6/12/2009 - 09:04

• Advertisement

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Hey freebird,

We will also be travelling from Phu Quoc to Rach Gia on 19th of December but will be taking the boat... we are looking at trying to arrange a trip to phnom phen, over about three days. We have heard Vinh Long has good homestays, but we are going to be playing it by ear as there doesn't appear to be any organised tours. However as mentioned elsewhere on this site apparently standing by any riverside it will only take about 10 nano seconds to be offered a homestay. Maybe we should catch up and compare experiences in Phu Quoc. Don't know about your demographic, you might have different needs to us, we are a 40+ couple travelling with our 20 year old son, but all of us are young at heart.

We will be in Phu Quoc from 15 December

#2 Posted: 9/12/2009 - 14:43

• Husko

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2007

freebird - get to the bus station and catch a Mai Linh bus to anywhere in the Delta. If you want to stay the night, stay at the Kim Co Hotel - clean and central.

Kaz - Same, but make your route which ever way you want to Chau Doc or straight to Ha Tien and cross the border to Kampot in Cambodia to get to PP. Maybe bus to Ving Long/ Can Tho and homestay.

Take your time, ask questions and enjoy!!

#3 Posted: 9/12/2009 - 15:18

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

We want to see a bit of the delta, there are direct ferries to hai ten from phu quoc, do you think we could get to experience the delta going that way?

Not fixed at all into an itinery but just want to see some stuff, it sound like you have done it before so I would welcome any more advice you can offer.

#4 Posted: 9/12/2009 - 15:34

• Precious24

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

the ferry from PQ to HT is quite rough, so just brace yourself with that

#5 Posted: 9/12/2009 - 15:43

• Husko

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2007

In fact there is a good ferry from PQ to Hon Chong which is about 30 minutes from Ha Tien . I think precious is refering to the fishing boats to/from Ha Tien which have been said to be dangerous.

For lots of info about doing the delta independently check out reidontravel.com and of course travelfish :)

Maybe try - Rach Gia (medium town), Can Tho(big town) then Chau Doc (small town) to PP or maybe start in Ha Tien/ Hon Chong(small town) and then go to Rach Gia etc. You can do some DIY tours from each place by either boat or moto - and yes it is easy to arrange something with the locals or hotel once there and easy and comfortable to get around on the mai linh buses.

Just ask around to get the an idea of what is on offer and $ - that is why it is best to spend a couple of days in each place if you have time.

If you have only 3 days then - Ha Tien then Chau Doc may be the way - are you travelling overland to Phu Quoc?

Enjoy!

#6 Posted: 10/12/2009 - 18:09

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Thanks Husko,

We are flying to Phu Quoc from HCMC, so after a bit of research we will probably go by boat Phu Quoc to Rach Gia, then a homestay in Vinh Long /Can Tho, then on to Chau Doc and through to Phnom Phen. I am hoping we will be able to arrange the Vinh Long homestay from Rach Gia, but if not will play it by ear. Three days is the rough plan but we have some flexibility, it will just depend on how much we like what we see.

Cheers

Kaz

#7 Posted: 11/12/2009 - 03:19

• Honchar

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2009

Has anyone answered freebirds question on "what is a homestay"? I'm leaving from Toronto Canada on the 19th of Jan/10 and landing in Ho Chi Minh City on the 20th and staying till Feb. 19th, I still haven't planned an itinerary. Maybe; Saigon/Da Lat/Nha Trang/Phan Tiet/My Tho/Can Tho/Long Xuyen. What says you??

billy.biker

#8 Posted: 3/1/2010 - 22:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mekong travel, Mekong tours ... By vnlinks on 17 Nov 2009 0 2450 17 Nov 2009