Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

New Year's Eve in HCMC

Posted by scarfie on 9/12/2009 at 03:08

Does anyone have any advice on any good concerts/parties, or just places to be to welcome in the New Year in Saigon? Is the western New Year a big thing in Vietnam, I'm aware of the Tet festivities in Feb and I assume they're a much bigger deal. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

#1 scarfie has been a member since 18/8/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by scarfie on 9/12/2009 at 03:09

I should mention my girlfriend and I are backpacking & are staying in the main backpacker's district

#2 scarfie has been a member since 18/8/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by linneamattsson on 17/12/2009 at 20:35

Posted from within Vietnam.

We have the same question really. We're also going to spend new year eve in Saigon, but from what I've read it's quite lively and we'll probably find somewhere to spend our night..

#3 linneamattsson has been a member since 5/6/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by Manticore on 22/12/2009 at 12:09

Check out http://www.outinsaigon.com/events/

You can also find them on Facebook and they give regular notices of events if you join their mailing list.

#4 Manticore has been a member since 9/11/2006. Posts: 67

Posted by Manticore on 22/12/2009 at 12:11

oh I forgot this one too: http://www.wordhcmc.com/events

#5 Manticore has been a member since 9/11/2006. Posts: 67

Posted by 69bertie on 22/12/2009 at 21:26

You'll find for the average Vietnamese the western New Year isn't such a big deal. The weeks leading up to and including Tet is the BIG deal for them. That is their new year.

Last year there were fireworks down by the river etc and place frequented by westerners will have something going on.

As for finding things out via Facebook, you'll find unless you are using a connection that connects to something like Opendns, Facebook is a no go in Vietnam. Its supposedly having technical issues!!!! Blocked in other words.

#6 69bertie has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 90

Posted by mimivn on 30/12/2009 at 13:59

hi
Tet or Lunar new year is specail days which Vietnamese has a chance to gather each other. They just meet and talk and relax at home. they don't celerate party. if you want to join insider locals, plz contact me via email: keptocxinhxinh@yahoo.com.vn. hope can help you in HCMC.

#7 mimivn has been a member since 30/12/2009. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.