Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Advices for 3 weeks intiary in Vietnam?

• camerondir

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

I am currently in Hanoi to do a small study for my bachelor thesis.

As part of my studies, I am going on a short field trip to Sapa , Halong, Hoa Bing , Hue, Hoi anh, Myson. The scheduling is still not in stone, but I expect to visit Sapa on the 16th of January as well as spending 3 full weeks starting on the 20th of January till the 10th of Febuary to Halong-hoabing-hue-hoianh-myson.

Would like to get your suggestions on whether 3 full weeks enough for doing my small study in these locations? Which is the best transportation to get these destinations? How could I organize this trip as most economically?

And for this trip, I will need an guide, who has good command of English and who is guiding me for 3 full weeks from Sapa-Halong-Hoabing-Hue-Hoian-Myson. My budget is 10 USD/guide/per day.Any advices for looking a guide?

I would highly appreciate. Thanks a million.

#1 Posted: 28/12/2009 - 14:17

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I think train would be the best way for most of that trip as outside of the Ha Long Bay legs it is straightforward by train. I don't like your chances of getting an English-speaking guide for $10 a day -- if you're already in Hanoi I'd suggest swinging by some of the travel agents to get an idea of what the going rate for a guide is.

#2 Posted: 29/12/2009 - 14:48

• bristol

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

In my opinion, the trip you are proposing to do is feasible - 3 weeks being a happy medium however the excursion to Hue, Hoi An will eat into your time. I advice you make a trip like this..., explore 3D2N in Halong as first destination and then 3D/2N Sapa,3D2N in Hoa Binh ...all in the North of VN. Then travel around 2 weeks to Hue, Hoi An in the Middle.There has many historic sites in Hue, Hoian etc to go visit
    The best transportation to get there:
    Hanoi-Halong ( by cruise), back to Hanoi
    Hanoi-Sapa ( by train)
    Hoabinh - Hue- Hoian- Myson ( by train or by car)
    Or you can go around the Old Quater and then search some recommended travel agent: Columbus, Hanspan, Singcafe... they are tour experts in Vietnam tours. Compare the prices then choose one for you. The tour always covers the English professional guide
    Hope this help

#3 Posted: 29/12/2009 - 15:39

• silversnapp-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2009

Camerondir, don't forget to add a the Dong Xuan market in Hanoi in your study. It's one of the oldest landmark there and you can see a lot of the activities there. You can learn a lot from there about the everyday life of the city, plus Hoan Kiem Lake is just near the market.

#4 Posted: 30/12/2009 - 11:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Two weeks in Laos from North to South, advices? ... By bar002 on 12 Feb 2010 16 3330 18 Feb 2010
Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville-Siem Reap in 2 weeks: need advices ... By vuh on 2 May 2007 3 2982 3 May 2007