Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi / HCMC recommendations please (2 nights in each)

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Hey all

Unfortunately due to a string of events, we've ended up having to really cut down our trip duration...

We've got two nights in both Hanoi (arr 4pm, dep morning) and HCMC (arr 11am, dep morning).

So my questions are:
    1. What is the best area to stay in for each? We'll book accommodation before we go to save time/hassle
    2. What are two MUST SEE sights for each that we could do in the AM and then PM on the full day we have.

Thanks!
    Ash

PS have posted something similar for Pnomh Penh.

#1 Posted: 30/12/2009 - 04:43

• Advertisement

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

Can't comment on HMCM as haven't been there (yet!) but as for Hanoi , you are best off staying in the Old Quarter, I would recommend the Hanoi Youth Hotel - see other posts for details. Try taking in a water puppet show if you can.

#2 Posted: 30/12/2009 - 06:40

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

thanks.

just wondering, do people think the Cu Chi tunnels are worth visiting in the morning of the full day we have in HCMC?

#3 Posted: 30/12/2009 - 06:47

• silversnapp-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2009

Tight schedule huh! We were in Vietnam recently and 14 days were not enough to see the beautiful spots. I suggest you should prolong your Hanoi visit for a day or two. Go to Sa Pa or Halong Bay, either could do. Happy travelling!

#4 Posted: 30/12/2009 - 10:51

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

yep... tight schedule!
    we're doing halong and sapa :o)
    whirlwind tour... we can always come back!

#5 Posted: 30/12/2009 - 11:03

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I agree with Silversnapper, Hanoi is too good for only 2 shortened days! Stay in Hanoi's Old Quarter or Cathedral District - I stay at the Especen Hotel on Tho Xuong (good location near the Cathedral and the Lake with excellent places to eat nearby) especen@gmail.com

Saigon is not my favorite, but I stay in the Pham Ngu Lao downtown at the Bich Duyen Hotel - you can walk to most downtown areas. bichduyenhotel@yahoo.com

Both of those hotels should be pre-booked as they are quite popular. Neither hotel requires a deposit to hold a reservation, but you should keep in contact with all hotels - send them periodic emails to let them know you'll show up (many do not, and that's the problem!) These are 2*, $20.-26. for better rooms

#6 Posted: 30/12/2009 - 12:46

• grasshopper-

Joined Travelfish
    30th September, 2009

We stayed at the Serenity Hotel in the Old Quarter - wonderful, wonderful service and cheap. Computers and flat screens in the rooms and a BATHTUB!! They have sister hotels with a block if booked. Very easy to book anything you need out of there...breakfast, awesome staff. While in HCMC we stayed in an alley guesthouse - much less noise than on the main street, and cheaper. For sights, we went to the Hanoi Hilton, the mausloleum, some army museums, and really just enjoyed the people. Some nice art galleries there. Have a great time!

#7 Posted: 6/1/2010 - 02:08

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

thanks all :o)
    gave another night to Hanoi on your recommendations so now three nights.
    will do some research into places in the old quarter.

#8 Posted: 6/1/2010 - 02:45

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

You won't regret it! Make sure you spend some time just meandering around the little shops in the Old Quarter - even if just for window shopping. There are some lovely places there.

Enjoy your trip! :)

#9 Posted: 6/1/2010 - 04:09

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Good call to add a night to your Ha Noi stay. Definitely stay in the Old Quarter. I've stayed at Ha Noi Elegance #1 (8 Hang Bac St.) and Ha Noi Pacific. Prefer the former. Delightful staff, great location. Approx. two doors down (west) is a very cool little hole in the wall shop selling authentic old bracelets, woven goods, shaman's stamps, etc., etc. (along with some newer items). The owner is very knowledgeable about tribal goods. See Hoan Kiem Lake, eat on the street, Water Puppets (touristic? yes -- worth it? yes), Ethnology Museum is very cool (take a cab out there), Temple of Literature.

Enjoy the people and the city, and have fun!

#10 Posted: 6/1/2010 - 08:57

• Advertisement

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

I think you'd be better off in Hanoi in the area to the west of the lake. (the Especen is here). It's close to the old quarter without the noise or the heavy foot traffic which can really slow you down. It's also easy to get from there to the Temple of Literature and the Hoa Loa museum and it gives you easy access to the opera house, the French quarter and the area below the lake. There's also a good supermarket nearby down a lane at 26 Le Thai To, opposite the west side of Ho An Kim lake.

Two places I suggest you eat at in your brief visit
    Quan An Ngon, ( which also has a branch in Saigon).A smart restaurant that serves street foods from different parts of Vietnam with reasonable priced, 18 Phan Boi Chau, on a corner. Go early to ensure a seat or book ahead.
    Koto, 59 Pho Van Mieu, 747 0338 where street kids are trained. The food is good and the decor and ambience are very pleasant.There are 3 different floors.

#11 Posted: 6/1/2010 - 19:57

• hanoimikesh-
    otel

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2010
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

I think because you just 2nights in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh city, I recommend you for first day of arrival, you should discover Hanoi by going to these places: Hoan Kiem Lake, ( try to see water pupet just 40,000VND), Temple of Literature, Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, night market if you go to Vietnam on last 3 days of week.... And for second day you can go to Halong, after Halong, you take flight to Ho Chi Minh city

#12 Posted: 7/1/2010 - 13:43

• silversnapp-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2009

Don't forget to try pho before you leave Hanoi. Ask the staff in your hotel where you can find the original offering nearby.

#13 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 14:02

• theCATALYST

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2009
    Location Philippines

Reminder while walking along the streets, especially near Hoan Kiem Lake and Plaza, there are too many hawkers. They let you carry their stuff then force you to buy their produce, usually bananas. Well, it's up to you if you want a snapshot of yours while carrying those bananas and wearing the traditional Vietnamese hat. Nice experience, anyway.

#14 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 16:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phnom Penh - 2 nights - recommendations please ... By smash on 30 Dec 2009 2 3051 5 Feb 2010