Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Nha Trang or Da Nang/Hoi An

• dstrips

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2010

Hi,
    My wife and I are going to Vietnam for our honeymoon and we are trying to decide between Nha Trang or Da nang/Hoi An. We Will be at either one for three nights.
    It is the "honeymoon" part of the trip, nice beaches romantic etc.
    But we do not want to just sit on a beach for three days. We are looking for a blend of experiences and relaxation.
    Would really appreciate some input and recommendations on where to stay (kinda doing it up here:)
    Thanks

#1 Posted: 10/1/2010 - 02:27

• Advertisement

• Rohan

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

I have been to Hoi An but not Nha Trang. Hoi An is a small town that is quite pretty. I didn't spend any time at the beaches. There are a bunch of resorts just outside of town that are on one of the beaches. However, I did enjoy the town and there is a fair bit to do in and around it.

Nha Trang has a reputation for being a lot more brash. I left it off my trip because it didn't seem to have much going for it other than beaches, while Hoi An has a wide variety of things to see and do.

#2 Posted: 10/1/2010 - 18:17

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Nha Trang was one of my most disappointing stops in Vietnam - and I was stopping there as I wanted some beach time. The beach itself it OK, but the beach vendors get to be a nuisance. Overall, I found Nha Trang a bit dull.

Hanoi, on the otherhand, possibly isn't 'romantic' in the traditional sense, but you will leave with much better memories. If you are really keen on the beach while in Vietnam, maybe try Pho Quoc. (I didn't get there due to a change in plans so can't comment on it, but what I've heard makes it sound much better than Nha Trang.

#3 Posted: 10/1/2010 - 22:54

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Definitely Hoi An ! The beaches there are pretty much the same as Nha Trang and there's so much more to it than that. For me, Hoi An is THE can't miss of Vietnam.

#4 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 04:03

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Oh and for romance you can't beat Hoi An - far far better for that than Nha Trang in my opinion. Bike ride to the beach, dinner at a classy riverside restaurant followed by a romantic row down the river on a tiny canoe at dusk and a stay at a boutique guesthouse in the old quarter... Does it get any more romantic than that? Enjoy, and congrats!

#5 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 04:07

• dstrips

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2010

Thanks so much for all your responses, they helped tremendously.

#6 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 08:56

• nobbystylus

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2009

We've just come from Hoi An (in Hanoi now) and its is very very pretty and the beaches are quite nice, but its incredibly touristy, so there is a trade off. If you do go to Hoi An though take a day trip to the Cham Islands (about 20$) for some really lovely secluded beaches. We went with a tour organised by our hotel and had the good luck to get Captain Dan as our guide, an ex-buddhist monk turned sailor who gave us some great pearls of wisdom and made the trip that bit more special. Ask around for him on the dock side at Hoi an!

Nha Trang is a big town like Brighton or Blackpool with a good clean beach (with not many people on it), but if you want a really magical kind of beach then you will again have to head for the islands off the coast. Alternatively head for a super chilled getaway nearby like Jungle Beach.

#7 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 09:22

• easwud

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2010

Our vote is Nha Trang for your honeymoon. You will not be disappointed.

Hoi An is cute place to hang out and bike for a day or two. Good to hang out with a bunch of tourists getting tailored made clothes. Not that great for a romantic stay.

However, Nha Trang will the best destination for your honeymoon. Its is very romantic, private and luxurious. Don't stay on the mainland. If you have a high end budget you can stay at VinPearl or Evason Ana Mandara Hide Away for $1,000 a night. Or find another hotel that is on one of the islands.

We stayed at Hon Tam Resort. We paid $191USD for Deluxe Bungalow. They have Premium and Romantic bungalows just for bit more around $239 USD which have just a tiny bit more space. This is totally worth it to stay in a 5 star resort and be on a separate island. You can relax and enjoy the beach. Ocean view rooms...recommend trying to get a room on the 2nd level or higher level. The resort offers their guests, free snorkeling, golf driving range, tennis court, bikes to go around the island, buggy service if you don't want to walk, daily cleaning room, nightly turndown, pool towels, wifi and breakfast buffet. Luxurious resort.
    There is a shuttle every hour to the mainland so you won't get stuck.

We have been here for 4 days and sad to leave. Its a place to get away from reality. Just love it here.

Good luck on finding the perfect honeymoon destination.

#8 Posted: 12/1/2010 - 11:30

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I meant 'Hoi An' in my earlier post, NOT 'Hanoi' (although I quite liked Hanoi, too!) I seem to have developed some sort of dyslexia when it comes to the names of these two!

Anyhow, just to confirm, my vote for romance would go to Hoi An!

#9 Posted: 12/1/2010 - 18:33

• nzlup

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2010

Just goes to show the difference in ppls perceptions...

My vote for Hoi An - late afternoon coffee on a riverside cafe/restaurat watching the sun go down and the lanterns reflecting off the waters, evening stroll in the quiet and it the old quarter can be very atmospheric.

Forget the clothes shopping.

#10 Posted: 1/2/2010 - 19:23

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hoi An by a mile! You can't beat Hoi An for a honeymoon, but fly through Hanoi and stop off there for a day or 2 also - Hanoi, the Paris of Asia.

#11 Posted: 2/2/2010 - 02:54

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Ha Noi the "Paris of Asia"? I don't know. That seems a bit of a stretch. Nonetheless, I do love Ha Noi.

Anyway, I'd vote for a Hoi An honeymoon. The town is quite interesting. The dozens of lantern shops make for a very romantic glow at night. Check out Brother's Cafe for dinner (way over-priced for Viet Nam, but a very charming setting and locale, and great food). Cua Dai beach is clean and a good place to hang out and get some sun.

Have fun!

#12 Posted: 3/2/2010 - 12:31

• kaercher

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2009

In Hoi An now.
    Wonderfull town, great people.
    If you have the time, go for a visit to one of the temples in the old quarter; I've got really impressed.

#13 Posted: 5/2/2010 - 20:33

• edwuppy

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2008

Hoi An. Rent a bike there!. Great to walk and bike to the great beaches!

#14 Posted: 14/2/2010 - 15:10

• edwuppy

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2008

Hoi An. Rent a bike there!. Great to walk and bike to the great beaches!

#15 Posted: 14/2/2010 - 15:10

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Link
    Different strokes for different folks.

#16 Posted: 22/10/2011 - 14:31

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

dstrips....

Congrats on your honeymoon....enjoy!

My wife and I have been married for 3 years,however, are still very much on an extended honeymoon. We've chosen Hoi An over Nha Trang.

Because of time restraints,I needed to pick two of three places out of Nha Trang,Hoi An and Phong Nha and decided to drop Nha Trang.

According to my research....

Hoi An and Phong Nha expemplify Vietnamese culture in a much,much bigger way than Nha Trang. We want to go to Vietnam and experience Vietnam!

Hoi An sounds like a much more intresting place to go.

#17 Posted: 23/10/2011 - 01:07

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"We want to go to Vietnam and experience Vietnam!"

I think you would have to experience rural life for a few months to experience Vietnam and then spend a few weeks in Saigon and a few in Hanoi to balance the rural with the urban. Of course, most people don't have that kind of time...

#18 Posted: 23/10/2011 - 01:40

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

No doubt to REALLY experience it, one would need a LOT of time, away from the popular tourist spots......agreed MM 100%.

I find that you can go to a lot of countries and experience modernization and America, even though you’re not in America.

From what I've seen online, Nha Trang has sections like that for sure and perhaps Hoi An does as well?

I like to try and get in with the people and experience some culture whenever possible.....time permitting.

I'm hoping that the Phong Nha area and some scheduled homestays might help us get at least a taste of Vietnam.

#19 Posted: 23/10/2011 - 05:20

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Kev
    It is one type of tourism, cultural tourism. But it's not the only reason to travel somewhere. Thailand, for example, has some nice tropical locations that people who want to get away from a cold winter can't experience in their home countries, and so they travel to Thailand to get away from weather, enjoy a beach, and relax. They are not necessarily coming because they are interested in Thai people. And there's nothing wrong with that. Ditto going to Vietnam. One kind of tourism isn't better than another, it's just catering to the tastes of the particular tourist in question. Just a thought to keep in mind.

#20 Posted: 23/10/2011 - 13:36

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

I like to get away and find some sun for sure.Vancouver doesn't get too cold, but I prefer the sunshine of some tropical destination come Dec/Jan.

Speaking of the cultral tourism/regular tourism topic.....

My wife recentley liked Puerto Valarta with it's busy atmosphere, shops,modernization and touch of American influence.

I was in heaven when we travelled travelled southand eventually down this dirt road some 40 kilometers back to the ocean and a few very small laid back Mexican fishing villages.....awesome!.....Real Mexico!

I wanted photos taken of those smaller, poorer environments and she prefered pics the luxury found in Puerto Valarta.

She grew up in a poor environment and I in a richer North America and I guess that's why.

We blend both types of tourism and thrive really well in each others environment.

Hey.....all holiday time (tourism) is awesome!!!!....Sure beats going to work!

#21 Posted: 24/10/2011 - 07:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Hey.....all holiday time (tourism) is awesome!!!!....Sure beats going to work!"

Boy, you got that right.

I too don't like the classic tourist kinds of locations, not even the cultural tourist locations (Like Ayudhaya or Sukhothai). I like to go places where I am the only white guy for miles... But I do understand that what I like isn't what other people like. My sister is a beach tourist. And that's fine. Whatever kind of tourism you like is OK with me.

#22 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 01:14

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

"I like to go to places where I'm the only white guy for miles..."

MM...LOL too funny!

I was once in a place or two like that near a jungle town in the Philipinnes.

I was the only white guy they'd seen in weeks and everywhere I went heads were turning.We went to the market and a few girls told my wife, I was Gwapo.

I asked her what Gwapo meant and she said "good looking."

Lol...if the sun is shining right I have my moments, however, over here in Canada, I'm just an average looking guy.....but to them I'm Gwapo!

Have to admit, it felt good!

Gotta love South East Asia and Asian women!

#23 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 09:54

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Yep. I kind of have an unfair advantage though as I live here, so I have learned the language and I own my own motorcycle. So I can drive to whereever I want and explore. I'm not a big time travel guy though. And I pretty much stay in Thailand, since I can't speak Khmer or Vietnamese...

#24 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 11:29

• octave

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2011

I really loved Nha Trang but i prefer Hoi An. You can visit the old town, do shopping, enjoy the beaches or discover the countryside all around.

#25 Posted: 31/10/2011 - 03:02

• Jenpapaya

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2011

Both Nha Trang and Hoi An are romantic with nice beaches. But if you want more experiences to feel about culture=> choose Hoi An.

#26 Posted: 6/11/2011 - 20:56

• vietnamvisi-
    t2

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2011

Hoi An beach isnot as beautiful as Nha Trang but in Hoi An there are many activities you can join in. Go shopping and make tailor, visiting the town and have a cooking class is also nice experience. Or ride a bike around countryside to see vegetable village or handicraft village.
    A great exeprience is boating on Thu Bon river to enjoy sunrise of sunset and take photo of fishing village. on summer time from Mar to Sep you can have 1 day visit Cham museum, diving and see coral. Beach on Cham island is also very nice.
    my yahoo email: cuontheochieugio181, you can chat or email to me. Very happy to help you

#27 Posted: 25/12/2011 - 22:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Nha Trang or Da Nang? ... By anniele on 25 Jul 2014 7 2116 27 Oct 2014
Overnight train Nha Trang to Da Nang? ... By adelene on 16 Jul 2006 2 9623 17 Jul 2006
Vietnam Hanoi --> Hue --> Da Nang --> Nha Trang --> Ho Chi Minh City ... By aussiegirl on 15 Apr 2011 10 11434 16 Jun 2011