#1 Posted: 10/1/2010 - 03:12

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I remember watching a blind man cross that same major intersection with just a stick to guide him... How do they do it?

#2 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 04:11

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Oh that's very good -- love the guy with the blue signboard!

#3 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 13:55

• theCATALYST

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2009
    Location Philippines

Posted from within Vietnam.

why not having a prize for the first one who can identify if the guy with the signboard is a male or a female. Is he/she alone or with somebody? Take a look again.

#4 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 15:50

• grasshopper-

Joined Travelfish
    30th September, 2009

hmmm...I slowed the video down and I can't tell if it's a male or female - is one of the other motorbikes traveling with - what are you seeing that I'm not??

#5 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 21:15

• NYTim

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

What amazed me was that after a day or two the traffic ceased to scare me. I just waded right into it.

#6 Posted: 12/1/2010 - 01:15

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Ah, the view from Highland Coffee. One of the best seats in town, I'd say. The intuitive choreography!

@ NYTim: Right. After the first time or two, I just realized the key is to not think about the mass of on-coming steel. Choose your moment, step off the kerb, walk purposefully ahead, and trust that people will find their way, just as you do. And, of course, hope it's not your day to make that Big Transition.........

#7 Posted: 5/2/2010 - 13:07

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

@ DLuek: Likewise, I've seen elderly people crossing major streets in Ha Noi. They just walked out at an interval in the traffic and, as the next wave came, began to talk to the traffic, waving hands and walking on at their usual pace. It worked.

What a great city, Ha Noi.

#8 Posted: 5/2/2010 - 13:11

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

@ DLuek: Likewise, I've seen elderly people crossing major streets in Ha Noi. They just walked out at an interval in the traffic and, as the next wave came, began to talk to the traffic, waving hands and walking on at their usual pace. It worked.

What a great city, Ha Noi.

#9 Posted: 5/2/2010 - 13:12

• grasshopper-

Joined Travelfish
    30th September, 2009

yes, the key was to just go for it..don't stop because if you do it takes the organization out of the chaos. The vehicles don't want to hit you (or so I hoped) so they will make adjustments in their speed and direction....

#10 Posted: 5/2/2010 - 23:50

• Advertisement

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Grasshopper: that's exactly right. It's all about flow.

#11 Posted: 6/2/2010 - 03:44

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

That's light traffic for Hanoi - just try to walk down from Hang Bac to Hang Bo to Bat Dan at rush hour in the afternoon. It's near impossible! The intersection here by Cityview Cafe on the Youtube clip is always busy, but fairly easy if you relax and take it one step at a time. I like to walk into the traffic so cars can pass on either side of me. I often use this intersection to find a taxi - I'm usually looking for the green & white of Mai Linh cabs and I give a pass to all others. I love Cityview Cafe because you can sit with a drink for hours on end and they don't bug you to buy more + that restroom at the entrance is great for when you're in the area - they don't seem to mind if you go in and then out without buying food or drink. Downstairs at the Hapro Information storefront they have free maps and a free computer. This building is my hangout in Hanoi since it's so centrally located and is so convenient. A small PO is around the corner and my favorite breakfast place is right up Dinh Liet (the Coffee Restaurant).

#12 Posted: 18/2/2010 - 10:07

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Quite so, Daawgon, though my hangout (and for similar reasons) is at Highland Coffee. One Saturday night I was caught up in the Mother of All Traffic Jams at the corner directly opposite, next to Van Long restaurant. It was xe om gridlock...after about five minutes those next to the sidewalk just jumped the curb & rode on. The plaza in front of Highland Coffee/Cityview Cafe was absolute mayhem. But fantastic people-watching!

#13 Posted: 18/2/2010 - 10:24

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

Have you guys heard the bad news? They're starting to run 12-person trams in the Old Qtr now with a guide and loudspeaker! I seriously hope that fails because I love this city too and such a change is not the way to go, IMHO!

#14 Posted: 20/2/2010 - 09:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hanoi traffic video ... By daawgon on 21 Dec 2011 3 1574 23 Dec 2011