Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Warning: ferry fire from Phu Quoc to Ha Tien

• mulaohu

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2010

We took the 08:30 hydrofoil leaving from Phu Quoc to Ha Tien.
    Shortly after leaving Phu Quoc, we smelled smoke in the cabin. We noticed the crew members moving about on the outside of the boat, but it was until the door inadvertently opened to the engine room that we saw the dense black smoke coming from within. One of the boat's engines had caught on fire.

When the fire was eventually extinguished, the crew told us that they would continue on with just one engine - this despite our vocal protestations to turn back immediately. One crew member even gave us the "no problem" hand signal, saying the same in Vietnamese.

After lilting a bit in the rocky waters, the crew realized that traversing the rest of the journey on just one engine would be too slow. We turned back.

Clearly, there was no back-up plan in case of an emergency. At no point did any crew attempt to radio the mainland. Two of the fire extinguishers on board were empty and useless. When we finally did reach Phu Quoc, the office "offered" to transfer our tickets to either a local, smaller fishing boat (twice as slow and even more dangerous!), or to board the next ferry. The woman at the office made vague promises that it would be a bigger vessel, but details were very vague and not forthcoming. For all we knew, we would board the same ferry.

Fortunately my husband speaks Vietnamese and acted as a translator between the foreigners and the crew, which helped immensely as none of the crew spoke any English. We were able to get our money back (surrounded the ticket office and demanded it). Several other passengers went to the Rach Gia ferry, which they said was much bigger and safer, while we opted to stay on the island and fly out to Ho Chi Minh City instead.

According to several locals, fires on ferries are not uncommon. Bear this in mind if you choose to take the small hydrofoil from Phu Quoc to Ha Tien.

#1 Posted: 14/1/2010 - 15:07

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for the report (I've moved this from Trip Reports to the Vietnam forum, as I think more people will see it there). Not sure why this message was flagged as spam -- sorry about that!

Glad to hear you got back to terra firma ok!

#2 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 08:53

• rmikiewi

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

We were also on this boat on 14.01.2010. The fire accident was really scarry and some passengers were already seriously thinking about jumping out from the boat (including myself). Luckily it ended up without casualities, however one of the passengers was slightly injured (by fire). I definetly do not recommend this boat... Finally we decided to change our travel plans and we took the big speed boat to Rach Gia (Superdong II) wich was in much better shape and was looking reliable.

#3 Posted: 20/1/2010 - 23:14

• rmikiewi

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

We were also on this boat on 14.01.2010. The fire accident was really scarry and some passengers were already seriously thinking about jumping out from the boat (including myself). Luckily it ended up without casualities, however one of the passengers was slightly injured (by fire). I definetly do not recommend this boat... Finally we decided to change our travel plans and we took the big speed boat to Rach Gia (Superdong II) wich was in much better shape and was looking reliable.

#4 Posted: 20/1/2010 - 23:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Kampot -> Ha Tien + Phu Quoc ferry schedule ... By Mikko on 15 Mar 2010 2 7186 17 Aug 2010
Kep to Ha Tien (and Phu Quoc) ... By danandhan on 11 Dec 2009 0 4025 11 Dec 2009
Phu Quoc Ha Tien Boat ... By apertyx on 10 Sep 2009 13 11928 9 Jul 2010
Boat from Phu Quoc to Ha Tien? ... By fuzzneko on 21 Mar 2014 3 869 10 Apr 2014
Ferry to Phu Quoc ... By plew10 on 10 Jun 2010 1 2614 14 Jun 2010
Phu Quoc-Sihanoukville ferry ... By jclarkson on 19 Nov 2009 1 4707 24 Nov 2009
Ferry for me and my moto to Phu Quoc? ... By adangerousbusiness on 14 Feb 2010 1 1364 16 Feb 2010
Kampot/Kep to Phu Quoc - ferry? ... By GeorgeScott on 30 Apr 2010 1 4203 30 Apr 2010
Take motorbike on ferry Rach Gia - Phu Quoc ... By stiginge on 13 Jan 2009 1 3153 14 Jan 2009
Short Mekong DIY Tour HCMC to Rach Gia for Phu Quoc Ferry advice please ... By paulascott on 8 Nov 2011 20 6350 18 Nov 2011