Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi is amazing !

• foieslinger

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

after a 30 or so hour trip from Eastern Canada we finally arrived in Hanoi and literally slept for 24 hours after we checked into the hotel.

took the suggestion from "Toxic 8" and are staying at the Holidays hotel at 24 bang manh street. $25 per room, nothing special but clean and comfortable. Good breakfast.

Hotel is offering a 2 day/1 night cruise for $68 per person on Christina Cruise junk.

Anyone have any experience with this tour ?

#1 Posted: 15/1/2010 - 16:58

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I don't have experience with that tour, but I suggest shopping around for other junks (hotels are not the best place to book them).

As long as you're on Hang Manh, I just wanted to tell you about 2 places for noodles in that area - the ultimate Hanoi experience:

Dac Kim Bun Cha at #1 Hang Manh
    Bun Bo Nam Bo at #67 Hang Dieu

both places only serve 1 thing, and it's great! I like Bun Bo better (beef noodles with herbs, add chili sauce to taste) at 30,000VND

order the bun cha, and you won't have to eat again for 2 days!

for something a little special, I suggest taking a Mai Linh cab up to Truc Bach Lake and eating at Foodshop 45, a super Indian place on the lake (my favorite in Hanoi)

#2 Posted: 16/1/2010 - 11:42

• foieslinger

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

thanks daawgon........ Dac Kim is definietly special, we've had the bun cha at several places and Dac Kim was the best. will try to hit up Foodshop 45 when we return from HaLong on Monday.

cheers.

#3 Posted: 17/1/2010 - 02:48

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

If you walk south on Hang Manh it becomes Ly Quoc Su past Hang Gai - you will pass Pho Ly Quoc Su (supposed to be excellent, but I haven't tried it yet) and then Van Xuan Foot Massage - my favorite and cheapest foot massage in Vietnam!

(Under no circumstances should you stop at Pepperoni's Pizza on Ly Quoc Su - terrible cardboard crust)

#4 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 04:17

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

#5 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 04:25

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

Hanoi truly is amazing - very good leads here:

http://newhanoian.xemzi.com/en/venue/top

#6 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 04:28

• foieslinger

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2009

Right on........ will avoid Pepperoni's like the plague and after hiking to the top of CatBa national park today I could use a foot massage upon return to Hanoi tomorrow.

#7 Posted: 19/1/2010 - 00:06

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

As long as you're that far down on Ly Quoc Su, you might as well go all the way down to the Cathedral and Nha Tho Street, because down there you'll find several upscale bars and restaurants that are very good. I have eaten at Mediterraneo, Al Frescos Pizza and Paris Deli. I found this at the NY times:

"Nightlife along Hanoi's Church Street, Nha Tho, which extends from the town's largest Catholic cathedral, is quite inviting and laid-back. The area is lined with boutique shops and galleries, and there are a few popular restaurants like Mediterraneo and La Brique, as well as Paris Deli and Moca Café, which attract tourists and expats. A good place to meet up before going out is La Salsa, which serves fine cocktails in a chic street-side overlook."

#8 Posted: 19/1/2010 - 03:40

• 45baht

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

could always try eating at KOTO opposite the temple of literature. Good food, good cause.

#9 Posted: 25/1/2010 - 23:14

• jclarkson

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2009

Just a quick comment, I stayed at and booked both Halong Bay and Sapa tours through Hanoi Backpacker Hostel and was very pleased. Especially with Halong Bay, without a doubt the most memorable and wonderful Christmas Eve of my life.

#10 Posted: 26/1/2010 - 11:09

• Advertisement

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

Down the bottom of Ly Quoc Su street, near the pagoda, there's a stall selling snacks. About 3 different kinds as far as I remember. They are great. Just sit on a little plastic chair on the footpath or take away. In the evening it seems to be the cool place to be for Hanoi's twenty somethings- it has a great atmosphere then.

#11 Posted: 28/1/2010 - 12:39

• 45baht

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

jclarkson... I did my Haylong tour through another hostel nearby the Hanoi Backpackers that was a little bit cheaper. Cant remember what it was called now though. It was was Ace!! Did you get all the trekking on Cat ba etc included and how much did you have to pay?
    I think mine was about 35 USD for 3 days...

#12 Posted: 2/3/2010 - 00:37

• gohlayhuah

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2010

I am going to Hanoi in June. Can I have your opinion of Pinta Cruiser 2 days 1 night Halong trip from Hanoi and return for US$89? Or is there any equivalent of quality for much less? Thanks!

#13 Posted: 11/3/2010 - 19:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.