Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Hanoi is amazing !

Posted by foieslinger on 15/1/2010 at 16:58

Posted from within Vietnam.

after a 30 or so hour trip from Eastern Canada we finally arrived in Hanoi and literally slept for 24 hours after we checked into the hotel.

took the suggestion from "Toxic 8" and are staying at the Holidays hotel at 24 bang manh street. $25 per room, nothing special but clean and comfortable. Good breakfast.

Hotel is offering a 2 day/1 night cruise for $68 per person on Christina Cruise junk.

Anyone have any experience with this tour ?

#1 foieslinger has been a member since 11/11/2009. Posts: 36

Posted by daawgon on 16/1/2010 at 11:42

I don't have experience with that tour, but I suggest shopping around for other junks (hotels are not the best place to book them).

As long as you're on Hang Manh, I just wanted to tell you about 2 places for noodles in that area - the ultimate Hanoi experience:

Dac Kim Bun Cha at #1 Hang Manh
Bun Bo Nam Bo at #67 Hang Dieu

both places only serve 1 thing, and it's great! I like Bun Bo better (beef noodles with herbs, add chili sauce to taste) at 30,000VND

order the bun cha, and you won't have to eat again for 2 days!

for something a little special, I suggest taking a Mai Linh cab up to Truc Bach Lake and eating at Foodshop 45, a super Indian place on the lake (my favorite in Hanoi)

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,082

Posted by foieslinger on 17/1/2010 at 02:48

Posted from within Vietnam.

thanks daawgon........ Dac Kim is definietly special, we've had the bun cha at several places and Dac Kim was the best. will try to hit up Foodshop 45 when we return from HaLong on Monday.

cheers.

#3 foieslinger has been a member since 11/11/2009. Posts: 36

Posted by daawgon on 18/1/2010 at 04:17

If you walk south on Hang Manh it becomes Ly Quoc Su past Hang Gai - you will pass Pho Ly Quoc Su (supposed to be excellent, but I haven't tried it yet) and then Van Xuan Foot Massage - my favorite and cheapest foot massage in Vietnam!

(Under no circumstances should you stop at Pepperoni's Pizza on Ly Quoc Su - terrible cardboard crust)

#4 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,082

Posted by daawgon on 18/1/2010 at 04:25

Here's some info on Pho in Hanoi for you:

http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/showarticle.php?num=04SUN100110

#5 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,082

Posted by daawgon on 18/1/2010 at 04:28

Hanoi truly is amazing - very good leads here:

http://newhanoian.xemzi.com/en/venue/top

#6 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,082

Posted by foieslinger on 19/1/2010 at 00:06

Right on........ will avoid Pepperoni's like the plague and after hiking to the top of CatBa national park today I could use a foot massage upon return to Hanoi tomorrow.

#7 foieslinger has been a member since 11/11/2009. Posts: 36

Posted by daawgon on 19/1/2010 at 03:40

As long as you're that far down on Ly Quoc Su, you might as well go all the way down to the Cathedral and Nha Tho Street, because down there you'll find several upscale bars and restaurants that are very good. I have eaten at Mediterraneo, Al Frescos Pizza and Paris Deli. I found this at the NY times:

"Nightlife along Hanoi's Church Street, Nha Tho, which extends from the town's largest Catholic cathedral, is quite inviting and laid-back. The area is lined with boutique shops and galleries, and there are a few popular restaurants like Mediterraneo and La Brique, as well as Paris Deli and Moca Café, which attract tourists and expats. A good place to meet up before going out is La Salsa, which serves fine cocktails in a chic street-side overlook."

#8 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,082

Posted by 45baht on 25/1/2010 at 23:14

could always try eating at KOTO opposite the temple of literature. Good food, good cause.

#9 45baht has been a member since 25/1/2010. Posts: 21

Posted by jclarkson on 26/1/2010 at 11:09

Just a quick comment, I stayed at and booked both Halong Bay and Sapa tours through Hanoi Backpacker Hostel and was very pleased. Especially with Halong Bay, without a doubt the most memorable and wonderful Christmas Eve of my life.

#10 jclarkson has been a member since 10/9/2009. Posts: 35

Posted by violets on 28/1/2010 at 12:39

Down the bottom of Ly Quoc Su street, near the pagoda, there's a stall selling snacks. About 3 different kinds as far as I remember. They are great. Just sit on a little plastic chair on the footpath or take away. In the evening it seems to be the cool place to be for Hanoi's twenty somethings- it has a great atmosphere then.

#11 violets has been a member since 6/7/2009. Posts: 151

Posted by 45baht on 2/3/2010 at 00:37

jclarkson... I did my Haylong tour through another hostel nearby the Hanoi Backpackers that was a little bit cheaper. Cant remember what it was called now though. It was was Ace!! Did you get all the trekking on Cat ba etc included and how much did you have to pay?
I think mine was about 35 USD for 3 days...

#12 45baht has been a member since 25/1/2010. Posts: 21

Posted by gohlayhuah on 11/3/2010 at 19:17

I am going to Hanoi in June. Can I have your opinion of Pinta Cruiser 2 days 1 night Halong trip from Hanoi and return for US$89? Or is there any equivalent of quality for much less? Thanks!

#13 gohlayhuah has been a member since 9/3/2010. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.