Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi, Ha long and Sapa

• mitten

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2010

Hi there,

I'm planning a trip to Hanoi , Ha Long and Sapa . From everything I've read it seems as if the best way to get to Sapa is by over night train.

I would like to know whether I can just buy the train ticket when I arrive on my first day in Hanoi for my departure the following day? Or do I need to book in advance online before I get to Hanoi?

Also for the hotel in Sapa, should book online now or should i book when I arrive at Hanoi or just walk in when I arrive at Sapa?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 16/1/2010 - 02:35

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi mitten,

The trains do book up quickly, but if you have some flexibility I'd say not to bother booking in advance -- at worst if the trains are full you can go the next day...

No need to book in advance for Sapa as there are heaps of places to stay there.

#2 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 09:00

• oscarcat

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2008
    Location Cambodia

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just back from Sa Pa on trains both up and down to Lao Cai we were offered upgrades to own cabins for varying amounts if USD suggesting certainly at the moment the trains are not very full. Our cabin mates on the way back took the upgarde option for 20USD only to discover the entire carriage was nearly empty afterwards!

#3 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 19:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hanoi/Ha Long/Sapa or HCMC/Mekong Delta? ... By Seba on 29 Sep 2009 2 3541 5 Oct 2009
Hanoi/Ha Long Bay/Sapa doable weather-wise in November/december? ... By Seba on 28 Sep 2009 11 22612 29 Oct 2012