Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Is mid-March still high season in southern Vietnam?

Posted by Mikko on 21/1/2010 at 18:33

I searched the Vietnam forum briefly and didn't find a clear answer for my question, so sorry in advance if I'm repeating a question that's been asked a million times already :)

Me and my girlfriend will be spending some 3,5 weeks somewhere between Bangkok and HCMC in May (flying from HCMC to Kuala Lumpur at the end of the month), and I'd like to know whether booking accommodation in advance due to high season is advisable in some of the places.

Is mid-march still high season in southern Vietnam? We'll most probably be visiting places such as Chau Doc, Rach Gia, Phu Quoc, Can Tho and HCMC.

I've understood that the highest of high season is around December - February, but I'd imagine that March is relatively busy as well.

#1 Mikko has been a member since 21/1/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by daawgon on 22/1/2010 at 01:27

No need to pre-book in March. I've been to HCMC and the Delta then and I had no problems finding accommodations on the spot. Can Tho did not impress me at all - it's a very large city but it's the transportation hub of the Delta.

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,091

Posted by Mikko on 22/1/2010 at 13:59

daawgon: Thanks for the quick reply! I think we'll follow your advice and won't bother booking in advance, except maybe for Phu Quoc to get a nice bungalow or something if we feel like pampering ourselves after a couple of weeks away from the coast in Cambodia :)

As we have only 1.5-2 weeks to stay in Vietnam, we decided to concentrate on the Delta area and HCMC, and leave central and northern Vietnam for another trip. Since we're coming from Cambodia and definately going to Phu Quoc, Chau Doc and Rach Gia will be inevitable.

If you think Can Tho is not that interesting, do you have any other suggestions where to go between Phu Quoc and HCMC since our rough schedule allowed for at least a couple of days in Can Tho?

#3 Mikko has been a member since 21/1/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by daawgon on 24/1/2010 at 03:20

It's near impossible to avoid Can Tho completely - just wanted to warn you that the city is over 2 million people. You might consider a homestay in the Delta or one of the bike tours. I'm certainly no expert on the Delta.

#4 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,091

Posted by Precious24 on 26/1/2010 at 14:00

Can Tho's floating market and it's sunset at the river are nice for photos

#5 Precious24 has been a member since 21/11/2009. Posts: 22

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.