Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

To Halong or not to Halong!! Help

• sklsk8s

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2010

So my question is;with (4) kids in tow and only six weeks, should Halong Bay be a for sure on our itinery?
    The more I read posts and web info I'm confused as to whether or not we shoould route away from this potential trap.
    Could someone please slap me with some straight advice?
    Love the site,you guy's are amazing.Thx in advance.

#1 Posted: 2/2/2010 - 13:43

• Advertisement

• NYTim

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Y9u have to go contact Sinh Tourist at http://www.thesinhtourist.vn/

It was fantastic.

#2 Posted: 2/2/2010 - 23:25

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I enjoyed it - didn't think of it as a "trap" per se although it is very touristy. I'll skip it next time but am happy to have seen it once in my life. It is beautiful there, and probably the #1 tourism site in all of Vietnam... 6 weeks is a good amount of time so if you're going to be in Ha Noi I'd say why not? If you do go try to spend a night or two on Cat Ba Island...

#3 Posted: 3/2/2010 - 01:52

• sklsk8s

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2010

Thx for the info. I am still pondering though!
    Travelling with 4 little ones requires a bit more planning and is made slightly more difficult when you are someone whom doesn't like to plan to much in advance.......
    Cheers

#4 Posted: 3/2/2010 - 02:04

• themuths

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2009
    Location United States

You don't really need to set anything up in advance, there are boats leaving for the bay constantly from Bai Chay everyday, so even with kids riding the bus there from Hanoi, getting a hotel, and then getting a boat wouldn't be terribly difficult... depends also if you want to just do a day cruise or spend the night aboard a junk.
    It's definitely a great experience, worth seeing for sure, and the kids would enjoy the caves and kayaking too if they are old enough.

#5 Posted: 3/2/2010 - 04:07

• sklsk8s

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2010

Hey Thx a bunch...I think we will put Halong back on the trip planner...

I definetly have a million questions so you might be hearing from me again.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 3/2/2010 - 04:28

• Fattymac

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2009

I did it a couple of weeks ago.. It was beautiful and amazing. It's a couple of hours from Hanoi though but the bus ride went quickly.

I would definitely do it again....

#7 Posted: 3/2/2010 - 08:26

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Hello, sklsk8s:

We went on a 2-day, 1-night trip via Indochina Sails, mid-April '09. There are so many companies doing this, you can certainly find one that suits you (both in terms of experience and cost). It is an amazing place. Hopefully, you will have sunny weather. It was gray & misty when we went......but still beautiful, for all of that.

Go. You'll not regret it (understanding, of course, that you are quite unlikely to be in a remote area, with no other boats in sight). Take it for what it is & enjoy the experience.

"Only six weeks". Great attitude. Travel on!

#8 Posted: 3/2/2010 - 10:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Halong Bay -- Annam Junk and making a 6p flight after Halong -- any feedback? ... By jburkland on 8 Nov 2007 2 1632 10 Nov 2007
Cat Ba to Halong Bay and Halong City ... By Pokol on 28 Aug 2009 4 4538 3 Sep 2009