Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

1 Week in September: Vietnam or Cambodia?

• JesseJames12

Joined Travelfish
    6th February, 2010

We are planning to spend the second half of my honeymoon (1 week) in either Vietnam or Cambodia in the middle of September 2010. We will be in Bali for the first half of the trip so we are not looking to spend time at the beach, but rather soak up the culture, scenery and food. If we go to Vietnam we are thinking about traveling around the North and ending up in Hanoi. I have not looked into Cambodia much, so i dont know were we would go if we decided on spending the week there.

In particular, we would like to avoid spending time in areas where it would be raining most of the time.

1) What do you recommend, Vietnam or Cambodia?

2) Where would you go in either of those countries if you had a week to visit?

#1 Posted: 6/2/2010 - 03:07

• Advertisement

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Hi Jesse James:
    A week isn't a terribly long time for either country. You would want to really limit the number of places you visit.
    If you fly into Ha Noi: see Ha Noi; Ha Long Bay; Ninh Binh/Tam Coc; could go up to Sapa, etc.; there are other sights to see as daytrips from Ha Noi.
    If you fly into Sai Gon (HCMC): Sai Gon of course; Nha Trang or Da Lat; Phan Thiet/Mui Ne.
    Getting back and forth to these places, from Sai Gon or Ha Noi, can eat up a week in a hurry.
    If Cambodia: I'm just now planning my first trip to Cambodia, so I'll let others write about that (except to say, seems one could spend a week just at Siem Reap/Angkor Wat).

Happy travels!

#2 Posted: 6/2/2010 - 11:35

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Good luck, indeed.

I am going to venture a guess that travel2vietnam has a personal/business connection with the "4-star resort in the beach" at Da Nang, somewhere on the ever-more-built-up China Beach.

Given your one week available and what you said about not seeking more beach time, I'd still suggest Ha Noi or Sai Gon. Transport opportunities are greater (than smaller towns) and there are several day-trip or short over-night possibilities at each. My personal perference is for Ha Noi, but you'll have to read up and see what interests you most.

#3 Posted: 6/2/2010 - 22:49

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

And thanks for your comment,travel2vietnam :)

#4 Posted: 7/2/2010 - 00:07

• edwuppy

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2008

I had a lovely time in Vietnam. But one week is really not very long. You have to decide if you want to be in CITY life (HaNoi or HCMC) or partake in a smaller scale like Hue or Hoi An. Take a plane to the latter. Siem Riep (Angkor Wat) in Cambodia is also an incredible place. You can do Siemp Riep in 3 days.

#5 Posted: 14/2/2010 - 15:49

• nasmej11

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2009

for one week, i say you go to cambodia....

#6 Posted: 20/2/2010 - 16:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
What to do / where to stay for 1 week in northern Vietnam in September ... By JesseJames12 on 23 Feb 2010 3 2584 24 Feb 2010
1 week in Cambodia vs 3rd week in Northern Vietnam? ... By karuthless on 9 Jun 2011 5 2999 10 Jun 2011
Vietnam or Cambodia - 2 weeks, September ... By wanderingirish on 11 Apr 2012 3 2125 13 Apr 2012
Week In Cambodia/Week in Vietnam ... By simonb9 on 17 Jan 2008 1 2480 17 Jan 2008
Malaysia - Vietnam - Laos - Cambodia / Aug - September ... By rodolfoparo on 5 May 2010 0 1562 5 May 2010
Need help on my Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand trip in September ... By d0rk1e on 11 Aug 2006 5 4117 12 Sep 2006