Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

1 Week in September: Vietnam or Cambodia?

Posted by JesseJames12 on 6/2/2010 at 03:07

We are planning to spend the second half of my honeymoon (1 week) in either Vietnam or Cambodia in the middle of September 2010. We will be in Bali for the first half of the trip so we are not looking to spend time at the beach, but rather soak up the culture, scenery and food. If we go to Vietnam we are thinking about traveling around the North and ending up in Hanoi. I have not looked into Cambodia much, so i dont know were we would go if we decided on spending the week there.

In particular, we would like to avoid spending time in areas where it would be raining most of the time.

1) What do you recommend, Vietnam or Cambodia?

2) Where would you go in either of those countries if you had a week to visit?

#1 JesseJames12 has been a member since 6/2/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by Archmichael on 6/2/2010 at 11:35

Hi Jesse James:
A week isn't a terribly long time for either country. You would want to really limit the number of places you visit.
If you fly into Ha Noi: see Ha Noi; Ha Long Bay; Ninh Binh/Tam Coc; could go up to Sapa, etc.; there are other sights to see as daytrips from Ha Noi.
If you fly into Sai Gon (HCMC): Sai Gon of course; Nha Trang or Da Lat; Phan Thiet/Mui Ne.
Getting back and forth to these places, from Sai Gon or Ha Noi, can eat up a week in a hurry.
If Cambodia: I'm just now planning my first trip to Cambodia, so I'll let others write about that (except to say, seems one could spend a week just at Siem Reap/Angkor Wat).

Happy travels!

#2 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396

Posted by Archmichael on 6/2/2010 at 22:49

Good luck, indeed.

I am going to venture a guess that travel2vietnam has a personal/business connection with the "4-star resort in the beach" at Da Nang, somewhere on the ever-more-built-up China Beach.

Given your one week available and what you said about not seeking more beach time, I'd still suggest Ha Noi or Sai Gon. Transport opportunities are greater (than smaller towns) and there are several day-trip or short over-night possibilities at each. My personal perference is for Ha Noi, but you'll have to read up and see what interests you most.

#3 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396

Posted by Archmichael on 7/2/2010 at 00:07

And thanks for your comment,travel2vietnam :)

#4 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396

Posted by edwuppy on 14/2/2010 at 15:49

I had a lovely time in Vietnam. But one week is really not very long. You have to decide if you want to be in CITY life (HaNoi or HCMC) or partake in a smaller scale like Hue or Hoi An. Take a plane to the latter. Siem Riep (Angkor Wat) in Cambodia is also an incredible place. You can do Siemp Riep in 3 days.

#5 edwuppy has been a member since 24/9/2008. Posts: 23

Posted by nasmej11 on 20/2/2010 at 16:52

for one week, i say you go to cambodia....

#6 nasmej11 has been a member since 16/12/2009. Posts: 35

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.