Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Cost of things in Vietnam 2010

• kitten1

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2010

Hi,
    Travelling to Vietnam in April - would appreciate advice on what I can expect to pay for:
    Taxi Airport - City
    3* hotel
    Shopping (market): Bag's, shoes, t-shirts etc...
    Flight HCMC to Phu Quoc
    Taxi in and around HCMC city
    Eating out in a standard restaurant

I just want to have a benchmark to work with as I have no idea what is expensive and reasonable.

Thanks so much

#1 Posted: 13/2/2010 - 16:35

• Advertisement

• rick

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2010

Hi :)

I'm new here...hello everyone! I'm heading to Vietnam in April as well and I was wondering the same thing. If anyone has been there recently I would appreciate the same info as kitten asked for.

Also, if you have any good beaches that you recommend I would love to hear it. I'm looking for something with the same kind of vibe or feel that Koh Tao (Thailand) has.

Thanks,

Rick

#2 Posted: 13/2/2010 - 19:31

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I was there in Nov for my 3rd trip. Best beaches at Phu Quoc, Mui Ne and Hoi An . Hoi An is a good first stop - near Danang.

Taxi Airport - City
    about $6 - $8. in Saigon or hotels will pick up for about $15.

3* hotel
    in April should be cheap - approx. $35. or less - I stay at the wonderful Bich Duyen Hotel 2* for $26. - best hotel manager in Indochina
    I've also stayed at the 4* Ma Maison Hotel - brand new and a great value, but location is a problem/not downtown

Shopping (market): Bag's, shoes, t-shirts etc... \
    what quality? Western sizes can be difficult to find

Flight HCMC to Phu Quoc
    look on the Vietnam Airlines website - book there (should be under $50.)

Taxi in and around HCMC city
    very cheap, but use Mai Linh cabs only - this is important, many scams with cabs and cyclos in Vietnam, but Mai Linh will not scam

Eating out in a standard restaurant
    $3. for lunch and $4.-12. for dinner, no tipping

Saigon is not my favorite, I like Hanoi much better, but Saigon is interesting
    I suggest booking the Saigon Hotpot free student tours - they're excellent

April will be VERY HOT, I like March weather much better/cooler

#3 Posted: 14/2/2010 - 12:05

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

I average about $50. a day in Vietnam

room - $20.-28.
    food - $15.-20. I spend more than most on food
    drinks - $5.
    transportation - $2. - rarely take cabs, I'm a walker
    purchases/gifts - $5.

#4 Posted: 14/2/2010 - 12:14

• rick

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2010

daawgon,

Thanks for the replies - very helpful. I'm surprised that the hotels are that high though. Where you staying at a mid range place? Do you know if there is anything for less than $10 a day. I'm going to be on the road for quite awhile and need to stretch my money.

Thanks again,

rick

#5 Posted: 14/2/2010 - 12:31

• kitten1

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2010

Thank you very much daawgon! Appreciate your advice.
    Quick one, would you recommend staying in backpacker district or something quieter? (E.g. Whenever I trave to Thailand I always stay in the Koh San backpacking area)
    Cheers

#6 Posted: 14/2/2010 - 15:29

• kraver_alex

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

rick- I'm travelling with my girlfriend and between us we tend to spend between $35-40, staying in decent budget places. Food can be dirt cheap and for one person you could easily spend less than $5 a day on food if you eat at local Vietnamese places. If you walk everywhere you can obviously go without paying for local transportation. This is doable in HCMC, as long as you don't go to Cholon.

kitten1- if you like Khao San Rd, you'll like Pham Ngu Lao- not much budget accommodation outside of here and Co Giang (which is near to PNL) anyway

#7 Posted: 14/2/2010 - 16:34

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

You can catch the number 2 bus to Cholon from the riverfront for about 3000vnd. It goes along Tran Hung Dao.

Eat early if you want to eat local. Soup (and some other street food) is available about 5pm and costs about $1 or less.

You can buy bread rolls pretty cheaply and fruit and tomatoes etc in the market, though some sellers will try to charge you ridiculous prices.

If you're travelling for a long time, it's a good idea to stay in a nicer hotel from time to time (I consider $20 pretty upscale). If you stay somewhere for a week or more ask for a better rate.

#8 Posted: 14/2/2010 - 20:33

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

Sorry, I should have added that you young guys can probably get by on less (I'm 66). I stay in the backpacker areas too. Often the cheaper rooms will have no window. In Nov I stayed in a room on Cat Ba Island for $8. I do like a window and am somewhat of a gourmet too. I usually fly between cities or take the first class train carriages (private carriages attached to the state train - Livitrans, King Express). There are some fantastic bargains in this country if you're willing to seek them out.

#9 Posted: 15/2/2010 - 07:45

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

I have noticed that the most recent trend in Hanoi and Saigon (and any heavily touristed area) is to build more expensive hotels, and to Westernize this country. More and more English is replacing the native language - a big stink over this as you can imagine. I see Vietnam changing and advancing, so now is the time to go before it becomes another Thailand. I understand that Vietnam is considered to be rather well off compared to the rest of Indochina - the people here seem to be very happy, very contented, and you will thoroughly enjoy this unique place.

#10 Posted: 15/2/2010 - 07:54

• Advertisement

• rick

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2010

nice!!! thanks daawgon...well looks like I'll be heading to Vietnam come the end of next month...take care on your travels eveyone and maybe see you there ;)

#11 Posted: 16/2/2010 - 18:31

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi,

When my girlfriend and I were in Vietnam for 2 months last year we averaged almost exactly $50/day, which included transportation (busses, trains, taxis, motorbike and bicycle rental, and a couple flights too - we visited a lot of places). We ate pretty well but stayed in budget guesthouses, of which there are a lot of decent ones in Vietnam (way better than Thailand!). In Saigon off Pham Ngu Lao on "Mini Hotel Ally" I recommend Thai Nhi Mini Guesthouse, which offers decent rooms with windows and A/C for US$10 to $12 if I recall correctly. In Hanoi I love Phu Hoa Guesthouse across from Minh's Jazz Club in the Old Quarter - just $12/night for big airy rooms with windows and even a shared balcony - great location and a sweet old man owns it and doesn't offer tours or anything so it's very laid back unlike most of the places in that area that try to pressure you into booking a tour. Both Thai Nhi and Phu Hoa are listed here on Travelfish. In Hoi An we tried both Hop Yen and Cuong Doan next door and both were fine for around $12/night. Can't remember the name of where we stayed on Cat Ba Island but we had a great room with a giant window and balcony overlooking the sea for $5/night!

Oh and yes, ONLY take Mai linh taxis. From the airport make certain to agree on the fare before getting in the cab! Be very very clear! Especially at the airport it's very common for sketchy cabbies to quote you at 50,000 dong and then demand 500,000 when you arrive at your destination. If that happens to you mention the tourist police and if you have a phone take it out and say you're calling them.

#12 Posted: 16/2/2010 - 23:37

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Sorry, should have clarified that it was $50/day for the two of us combined, not individually.

#13 Posted: 16/2/2010 - 23:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
What things cost in South East Asia ... By Nokka on 22 Sep 2009 0 2938 22 Sep 2009