Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam Visa but no particular dates

• zoedimak

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2010

Hi! Sorry for posting another visa related question.. I know the visa for Vietnam is a tricky one as you need to get one in advance and not in arrival. I want to arrange the papers and everything but I don't have a ticket, or anything that proves when I'll be going in or out yet. We are planning to do the whole Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam etc trip but only have a ticket for Thailand so far and no fixed dates or papers for the rest? Any advice?
    Thanks in advance!
    z

#1 Posted: 17/2/2010 - 02:53

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

You don't need proof of onward travel to get a visa for Vietnam. On the part of the application that says "point of imbarcation/debarcation", just right in the border crossings (or airports) that you think you'll be using to go in and out of the country. Last time I left the country through a different crossing than I had specified on the application but had no problems. I would doubt there would be a problem if you enter through a different crossing than you specify either. But if I were you I'd put together a loose itinerary and plan out where you'll pick up your visas and where/how you'll cross into Vietnam. Vientiane and Phomh Penh are both recommendable places to pick up a cheap Vietnam visa, but Bangkok works too. If you fly into the country through Hanoi or HCMC you can pre-arrange a visa on arrival and this works fine too. Plenty of advice on how to do that in the Travelfish forums. Good luck

#2 Posted: 17/2/2010 - 09:42

• rebeccafarr-
    ent

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2009

Even though you don't have to prove your onward travel when applying for a Vietnamese visa but you're required to specify your date of arrival in and departure out of the country. Plus, you're allowed to enter later than the specified date of arrival, but never earlier. Similarly you're permitted to exit earlier than the specified date of departure but never later. Hope this helps

#3 Posted: 18/2/2010 - 11:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam visa dates ... By fivesilver on 28 Jun 2009 2 1579 30 Jun 2009