Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia in a month

• kye1

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2010

Hi all,
    Im heading over to Vietnam, cambodia and Loas for a month in July and was going to fly in and out of Ho Chi Min. Then i was going to head up through cambodia and laos to Hanio and back down the coast of Vietnam.
    Just wondering what ppl thought were the best things to see through here and if i was wasting my time and should fly to major cities and look around the area instead of traveling on bus, scooter, boat (what ever) right through.
    Any tips would be muchly appreciated. I was also not going to book accom and just go with the flow as that is what i did in Thialand...is it still ok to do that in these countries. Never been a booker :)
    Cheers

#1 Posted: 1/3/2010 - 10:04

• Advertisement

• wombatfuz

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2009

I found this very useful when I did my research
    http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/thailand-indochina-tour1

You need to nailed down your interest. Is it culture, adventure or rest & relax? Then eliminate the destinations from the above sample plan based on what your are not keen on.

What is your budget? One month is not a lot of time for 3 countries. If you have a big budget, then fly to major cities. Land transport takes much longer and will be a waste of your short time unless it is overnight travel. July is the rainy season so land travel will be slow. It might to a good experience to take a boat ride since water level are higher and could speed up the ride.

#2 Posted: 1/3/2010 - 10:17

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That's a lot to try and cover in a month -- you'll be spending most of your time travelling between places. More attainable would be a month for southern Vietnam, southern Laos and Cambodia. Take a look at the trip planning thing mentioned above for some ideas on travel times.

#3 Posted: 1/3/2010 - 16:28

• NayNay

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2010

Hi There,
    I will be in Vietnam and Laos in July as well. I'm starting at Ho Chih Minh and working my way up through the coast of Vietnam (through Hue and Hoi An) and finishing in Hanoi. From there i will be travelling over to Laos to meet a friend from where we will work our way down through Thailand. I will be travelling on my own in Vietnam.

Places i am seeing in Vietnam are:
    1. Ho Chi Minh
    2. Mui Ne
    3. Phu Quoc Island
    4. Hue
    5. Hoi An
    6. Hanoi

what was your rough iteneray? Lonely planet books are an awesome help in figuring out places to see!

#4 Posted: 5/3/2010 - 09:41

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Hello, Kye1:

#5 Posted: 5/3/2010 - 11:37

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Let's try this again....

Kye1: As Somtam said, an awful lot to take on in one month. You could probably see Sai Gon, Phnom Penh, eastern Cambodia (Ratanakiri, Mondulkiri -- where the rains will impede forward movement), up to 4000 Islands and Pak Xe in Lao, then over to Hoi An and down the coast, back to Sai Gon.

I'd suggest really refining (e.g., paring down) your list of must-sees ... and being clear about your budget. Flying some legs could save a bit of time, but cost more. If you want to see southern Lao, over-land is pretty much the only way coming from Cambodia or Viet Nam. The Pak Xe airport, if I understand correctly, is still closed.

Happy travels!

#6 Posted: 5/3/2010 - 11:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
1 Month in the Far East (Thailand - Cambodia - Vietnam - Laos) ... By BaznChaz on 30 Aug 2007 6 18865 8 Sep 2008
Two month trip through Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. Any advice? ... By o_kaija on 2 May 2010 3 3221 4 May 2010
40/F travel to Vietnam, Laos Cambodia month of January ... By Coolbean on 25 Dec 2011 0 1174 25 Dec 2011
2 - 3 month adventure - Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia! ... By rachel0621 on 19 Aug 2009 16 5935 7 Oct 2009
1 month trip to Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia ... By Nixxypie on 27 Apr 2011 7 10617 28 Apr 2011
my 3 month trip/motorbike advice vietnam, laos cambodia ... By petethered on 17 Mar 2014 1 886 17 Mar 2014
Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore and Laos in a month ... By blackskin on 26 Aug 2008 2 6505 2 Sep 2008
Itinerary 1 Month - Backpacking Through Thailand Laos Cambodia and Vietnam... Advice Needed :) ... By reneejordan on 5 Nov 2010 8 19864 6 Mar 2011
Itinerary for last minute month (June) of solo backpacking in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos ... By s1136380 on 19 May 2013 3 1735 19 May 2013
3 month route through Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos - constructive criticism wanted! ... By kmc on 30 May 2011 5 6099 1 Aug 2011