Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Teaching English in Vietnam - Where to start?

• gingermark

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2009

Hi there.

I spent over 8 months in SE Asia last year, and am now missing it, and considering returning, but I would need to work. Are there any reliable online resources for job vacancies in Vietnam that anyone can recommend? Most just seem to sell Tefl courses.

I would be looking to teach English (I am from the UK), although I have not done it before.

Also, any advice on obtaining a work visa to do this in Vietnam would be appreciated.

I have searched on info for both without much luck. If this has been covered elsewhere on the forum then I apologise, any links to relevant posts would be apprecuiated.

#1 Posted: 3/3/2010 - 05:31

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

It's true, I've looked into teaching in Vietnam as well and as far as I've found there is no solid online resource with job postings like there is for Thailand (www.ajarn.com). Still, I have found random websites with some postings and there are certainly plenty of foreigners teaching in Vietnam, mainly in HCMC and Hanoi. For some reason, teaching jobs pay far better in Vietnam than Thailand and Vietnam is considered a good country to teach in financially speaking, although from what I've gathered most jobs require a 4 year degree specifically in English - or - a 4 year degree (in anything) and TEFL certification. Certainly the 4 year degree would be necessary for obtaining a work visa, although it's likely you could find some "off the radar" work without a degree. One way to go about it would be to go to Vietnam and get your TEFL certification there... Most TEFL courses will help you get started into a job once you finish the course. Or, just go to Pham Ngu Lao area and start asking around. I met several English teachers - all older gentlemen - who often hung out at a restaurant right on Pham Ngu Lao across from the park. Beyond that, going to www.ajarn.com and looking around there might lead you in the right direction. If you've got the credentials you can definitely make it happen, just may take a little effort and patience. Good luck

#2 Posted: 3/3/2010 - 12:49

• gingermark

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2009

Thanks for your reply.

I have a UK BA (which is a 3 year undergraduate degree, but equivalent to many other countries' 4 year degrees).

Will keep digging, if anyone else has any info feel free to post :-)

#3 Posted: 3/3/2010 - 16:58

• Manticore

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

#4 Posted: 13/3/2010 - 16:44

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

You could have a look at Hanoi's expat website http://newhanoian.xemzi.com/ . There are usually some jobs listed on there plus some forums about work permits - not an easy one to sort out! I managed to get some teaching without a TEFL but it'll probably be a case of who you know.

#5 Posted: 22/4/2011 - 12:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Teaching english in Vietnam ... By JackHammer on 11 Jun 2010 3 2766 21 Jun 2010
Teaching English in Vietnam ... By corvusblue on 1 Dec 2009 5 2652 4 Dec 2009
Teaching English in Thailand ... By biissir on 28 Feb 2012 3 1293 29 Feb 2012
teaching english in loas ... By kimmistaus on 11 Dec 2006 3 2457 12 Dec 2006
teaching English In Indonesia ... By samsie23 on 1 Nov 2010 2 3402 18 Jan 2011
Teaching English in Thailand ... By corvusblue on 1 Dec 2009 14 4097 4 Mar 2010
New story: Teaching English in Thailand ... By somtam2000 on 23 Feb 2009 0 3349 23 Feb 2009
English teaching in northern Laos ... By johnm on 27 Jan 2011 19 5842 27 Oct 2011
Long-term English Language Teaching Volunteer Wanted in Siem Reap ... By mrdome on 22 Apr 2011 2 4294 25 Apr 2011