Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

when is best to go ? between sep-jan (north+south)

• noakess

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2010

Hi, thanks to the forum i have a great itinerary - which i originally planned for nov-dec (vietnam north to south +cambodia in 6 weeks ish) - but now i'm not sure it will be the best time of year to go - looks like north will be quite cold - will i still be able to kayak in halong bay and enjoy sapa? i can go any time between sep-jan......thanks for your help - found some conflicting info egarding weather....

#1 Posted: 14/3/2010 - 18:14

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

High season is Nov-Feb, but as you say it can get cold in the north. For instance, I understand early March this year was colder than usual in Hanoi, and they did have snow in Sapa 2 winters ago. The problem with going in Sep is heavy rain and typhoon on the Central Coast and the heat. I went last year at the end of Oct for 4 weeks - trying to avoid heat and rain. I avoided the rain but not the heat! I don't think there is a 100% perfect time of year for all locations, but my 2 previous trips were in March, and they were near-perfect (Sapa just a little foggy/cool). What's the solution - I say make 2 trips if you really want to go in great weather. (Mother Nature has been very unpredictable of late!)

#2 Posted: 15/3/2010 - 01:16

• rebeccafarr-
    ent

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2009

The temps usually drop considerably in the north from Dec to Feb which may reduce the visibility in coastal/mountainous places like Halong Bay and Sapa, particularly in the early morning and late evening, while it's normally much warmer up the southern part, like most time of the year.

You will obviously be able to do some kayaking in Halong bay but swimming is most likely impossible.

Hubbie and I were in Vietnam last July and it was roasting hot in Halong bay but incredibly cool in Sapa. If we're heading back to the country again, we may go in Oct (autumn) which is believed to offer cool weather throughout the country.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 15/3/2010 - 09:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.