Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam additions forum

Da Nang Beach House: at home in central Viet Nam

Posted by sonychiba on 9/4/2012 at 23:15

Posted from within Vietnam.

Make Da Nang your base camp for visiting central Vietnam, between historical cities of Hue and Hoi An.
Welcome in our modern and comfortable house, located in a quiet area, 400 m from China beach !
Chill out around the swimming pool, on the beautiful white sand of the beach, or ask us for advice on many activities, sightseeing and day trip around Da Nang (Monkey Mountain, Hoi An, My Son sanctuary ...
More info & photos on our blog: danangbeachhouse.wordpress.com

#1 sonychiba has been a member since 9/4/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by Pathbiker on 17/4/2012 at 20:27

Please do not use the sensitive term "China Beach" as it is prohibited by local authorities. Instead, you can write " Non Nuoc Beach"; "My Khe Beach"...

#2 Pathbiker has been a member since 17/4/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by caseyprich on 17/4/2012 at 21:37

I use China Beach, not to offend anyone, just because people know what I'm talking about then . . . same goes for Saigon vs. Ho Chi Minh. If you're giving this advice because it is a local business (sounds like an advert) then I can see where you are coming from . . . but still, how many people know where Non Nuoc Beach is?

Something similar happened in Shanghai recently when a British owned pizza chain was fined heavily for using the term "French Concession" in their advertising for their location. If they had said "Former French Concession" it would have been okay. Reminder of a colonial past not appreciated by the authorities.

Obviously, there is the faint whiff of authoritarianism when a government prohibits certain ways of refering to a location.

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by sonychiba on 18/4/2012 at 05:13

Hi Pathbiker,
Thanks for this very useful advice! However, since the terms "China" and "beach" are not illegal (even in Viet Nam), I think I can keep calling places the way I want.
By the way, are you part of the local authorities?

#4 sonychiba has been a member since 9/4/2012. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.