Flag of Vietnam additions

Vietnam additions forum

Train to china

• freenote

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2006

I have heard conflicting reports on the possibility of a train going from Hanoi up to Kunming in china and also is it possible to obtain a Chinese visa in Hanoi.has anyone on this board taken this rout or know anything about it .

#1 Posted: 30/6/2007 - 23:31

• Advertisement

• Discombobul-
    ated

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2007

Freenote,

as of Nov-Dec last year the rail line from Lao Cai (Vietnam - China) border to Kunming wasn't open. This may have changed since.

The line was completely destroyed in a number of places by flooding a couple of years ago and the Chinese hadn't gotten around to repairing it yet.

I may be wrong but I think you would need to take a bus from Lao Cai to Kunming.

Check out this site. Great information on train travel in Asia (and everywhere else actually)

www.seat61.com/Vietnam

#2 Posted: 16/7/2007 - 14:02

• freenote

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2006

Thanks Discombobulated (nice name )It apears you are quite correct and the line is washed out ,with no sign of repair .So , it will have to be a train to Lao Cai ,cross border and bus to kunming ;-)

#3 Posted: 16/7/2007 - 14:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.