Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam additions forum

Train to china

Posted by freenote on 30/6/2007 at 23:31

I have heard conflicting reports on the possibility of a train going from Hanoi up to Kunming in china and also is it possible to obtain a Chinese visa in Hanoi.has anyone on this board taken this rout or know anything about it .

#1 freenote has been a member since 4/12/2006. Posts: 11

Posted by Discombobulated on 16/7/2007 at 14:02

Freenote,

as of Nov-Dec last year the rail line from Lao Cai (Vietnam - China) border to Kunming wasn't open. This may have changed since.

The line was completely destroyed in a number of places by flooding a couple of years ago and the Chinese hadn't gotten around to repairing it yet.

I may be wrong but I think you would need to take a bus from Lao Cai to Kunming.

Check out this site. Great information on train travel in Asia (and everywhere else actually)

www.seat61.com/Vietnam

#2 Discombobulated has been a member since 16/6/2007. Posts: 9

Posted by freenote on 16/7/2007 at 14:29

Thanks Discombobulated (nice name )It apears you are quite correct and the line is washed out ,with no sign of repair .So , it will have to be a train to Lao Cai ,cross border and bus to kunming ;-)

#3 freenote has been a member since 4/12/2006. Posts: 11

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.