Flag of Vietnam additions

Vietnam additions forum

Nasty Tricks: How Hotels In Vietnam Cheat Tourists

• jensmichael

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2008

BEWARE OF Hanoi ’s „Ocean Star Hotel“ and „Ocean Star TWO Hotel“

From the website www.oceanstarshotel.com I booked 9 nights in a „deluxe room, double“ at the „Ocean Star TWO Hotel“ (No.10 Dao Duy Tu Lane, Hang Buom, Hanoi, Tel : + 84(04)8281711 („We are said to have some of the most comfortable duvets in town“) at US$ 18.00 p/night, airport pick-up included.

Six weeks later, after an overall 16 hours trip from Germany, the man who picked me up from Hanoi airport, drove like a raving lunatic, because during the 40 minutes ride - single handed - he received or made exactly 26 phone calls with his cell phone. He delivered me at the entrance of a long tight passage which led into a rear building of the very ordinary low priced guesthouse called „Ocean Star Hotel“ (43 Bat Su, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi).

Whilst coming to my senses again, in no time my luggage was carried away... into a room with 3 beds, a rotten cupboard, a malfunctioning tv set and window view onto rotten back walls. Room and bathroom looked like in a monk’s cell.

After making a complaint and my presentation of several mails regarding my booking and detailed confirmations the receptionist ceaselessly insisted „THAT’S THE SAME HOTEL“. In particular Mr. „JIMMY“ Anh Tuan, manager of the „Ocean Stars TWO Hotel“ with whom my correspondance had been made, started getting cheeky: „IT IS DE-FI-NI-TE-LY THE SAME HOTEL!!!“ and declared that in the „Ocean Star TWO Hotel“ would be no free room, not even for the next days.

Photos I made (available for everybody!) show two totally different hotels; one of them a cheap backpacker hostel, the other one a respectable ** to *** hotel.

Rude staff and nothing but lies! No excuse! No price reduction! No immediate offer of another room! In addition they charged for the car which picked me up from the airport.

NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL.

#1 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 02:52

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam for 3 weeks, avoiding nasty locals ... By fontbleu on 3 Jul 2012 57 20152 18 May 2013