Visas and border crossings forum

thailand visa!!! please please help!!

• beachlife27

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2010

Hi

I have been banging my head out all day looking at different sites and i am tearing my hair out. lol.

Please someone help me. Would be much appreciated :)

The situation is:

Im going to thailand on 2nd april flying with emirates. My flight leaves on 7th may heading to OZ. Therefore i will be in the country more than 30 days ( of which i know i get a free 30 day visa on arrival into BKK).

However, after about 10 days in thailand i am hoping over to Laos for a week. I know my 30 day visa would expire and i would get a 15 day visa on return into thailand (which works out fine as ill time it so its 15 days prior to 7th may when my flight leaves thailand)

My problem is, should i get a tourist visa ? Iv heard immigration dont ask for proof of onward travel when i arrive in BKK? Is this true? Also read that your airline in the UK can refuse you entry on flight? Im flying with emirates, does anyone know of any problems with them?

Maybe i should just get a visa to save hassle and worry but it seems pointless since i am going to laos within the 30 days.

Any help would be great

THANK YOU

carla :)

#1 Posted: 18/3/2010 - 00:08

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

Immigration pretty much never asks for proof of onward travel. Wouldn't worry about that. As for the airline, why not ask them? In any case, as I understand, Thai embassies are still giving out free tourist visas for the time being, so if you are worried in any way, get one.

#2 Posted: 18/3/2010 - 00:23

• beachlife27

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2010

Since 5th march, the tourist visa's are no longer free! I just think i would be wasting money getting a visa since i am only gonna be in thailand 10 days then the visa would expire when i enter laos.

If anyone has had any hassle with checking in at a UK airport regarding thai visa's and proof of onward travel. Please let me know

Thanks

#3 Posted: 18/3/2010 - 00:44

• ms1892

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2009

I have an almost identical dilema. Nearly everything I have read gives the impression that as long as you dont overstay your visa and have proof of onward travel within the 30 days then you will have no problem. However every now and then a post appears which states that you can be refused entry without a prearranged visa if your flights are over 30 days apart.

I have consulated the Thai Embassy website, but the information is really ambiguous.

Any further comments.

#4 Posted: 18/3/2010 - 05:16

• francesstel-
    la

Click here to learn more about francesstella
    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2009
    Location Italy

Hi guys,

I took a flight this time last year from London to BKK via Mumbai. I was not asked for proof of onward travel, which is just as well since my return flight was three months down the line.

I re-entered Thailand by air from Cambodia and again, no questions were asked.

I'm assuming that if some people have issues, it's probably due to sporadic checks that I would guess don't happen very often. I'd rule out that the checks are routine unless things have changed in the past 12 months.

Personally I would risk it but that's just my inclination!

Good luck,
    FSH

#5 Posted: 18/3/2010 - 20:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.