Visas and border crossings forum

Thailand tourist travel tangle!

• emma066

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2009

I'm flying from Hanoi to Bangkok in July. I am planning on spending around 2 weeks on islands and then getting a train from Surat Thani down to Malaysia. Obviously I'll book my ticket when i'm there, so my question is, what if immigration in Bangkok refuse entry because we don't have onward travel proof?

Has this happened to anyone? What can we say/do if questioned?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 12/4/2010 - 20:57

• Advertisement

• bedu

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007
    Total reviews: 15

They rarely check, so don't worry.
    If they did, you'd just do buy a very cheap Air Asia ticket, show it as proof and then refund it if you can, use it or throw it away.

But I have never heard of Thai immigration asking for onward proof, rather just to see if you have sufficient funds to cover the cost of your trip. So you could explain if they asked.

#2 Posted: 4/5/2010 - 10:49

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Even if they did ask, the very fact that you have a plan as to how you'll leave the country would be enough to satisfy them.

#3 Posted: 5/5/2010 - 00:54

• gardensnail

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2010

Hi,
    We are planning on entering Thailand in early June. Is it better to fly to Krabi from KL or enter a a land border? I understand a land crossing will only get you a 2 week visa.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would most like to avoid have to spend a day or more to renew our visas.

Ta

#4 Posted: 5/5/2010 - 15:32

• bedu

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

It's not a visa, it's a visa exemption valid for 15 days.

Why don't you just buy a 60 day tourist visa beforehand? You might spend a day or so getting it (unless you used an agent), but believe me, border runs are either expensive or a hassle.

If you're from the UK then use the Hull Consulate, you can post your passports and they will post them back (you must provide a return envelope with pre-paid postage), takes about 2 to 3 days (or so I've experienced).

#5 Posted: 6/5/2010 - 09:30

• gardensnail

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2010

Thanks Bedu,

I live in Australia. The Thai consulate in Sydney said they don't "do post".

A friend suggested Thai Consulate in Malaysia.

Laos Embassy worked as you suggested. Thai embassy doesn't grant visas only the consulate in Sydney.

Is that visa exemption for airport arrival, land crossing or both?

Thanks again for your help. The information on the internet from the Thai embassy site is quite variable.

#6 Posted: 6/5/2010 - 16:01

• bedu

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

No, by air gets you 30 days, land entry is 15 days.

In Malaysia, they seem to be fussy, go in and be polite, wearing clean clothes and with the correct paperwork.

Have fun, good luck and message me if you're stuck.

#7 Posted: 6/5/2010 - 22:08

• gardensnail

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2010

Thanks Bedu

We are old, snow birds, so Asians generally are very respectful.

Disguised aging hippies.
    without travelfish t-shirts

Thanks very much for your advice.

#8 Posted: 7/5/2010 - 06:46

• catherine25

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2010

We are entering Thailand from Siem Reap by land so will get a 15 day visa but then we are flying from Bangkok to Phuket, does anyone know if we will then get a 30 day visa when we land in Phuket?

Thanks

#9 Posted: 7/6/2010 - 22:15

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hi Catherine,

No you won't. You only get a free 30 day stamp if you're arriving by air from outside the country. Bangkok to Phuket is a domestic flight, like London to Manchester.

#10 Posted: 8/6/2010 - 03:05

• Advertisement

• catherine25

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2010

Thanks for your reply!

I thought that might be the case but wanted to check. We are leaving in 2weeks so wont have time to get a visa before we leave now. Can you get one of the free visas in Thailand? Or in Vietnam or Cambodia as we will be there beforehand? I am just worried at the minute we are thinking 2weeks but would worry incase we wanted to stay longer on the islands!

Thanks!

#11 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 00:10

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You can't get a proper 60 day tourist visa in the country where it be used (ie Thailand) but you can get one in any Thai consulate outside the country. so you could get one in either Vietnam or Cambodia. You generally need to allow a couple of days for processing. (Give in passport in the morning, collect the following afternoon).

#12 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 00:36

• catherine25

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2010

Brilliant, will try that! Thanks very much!

#13 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 22:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.