Visas and border crossings forum

Thail visa...6 weeks including border crossings

• kazmurph88

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2010

Hey, really need some help with this,
    We will be arriving in BKK 5th June and staying for 6 weeks, hoping to cross over to vietnam and cambodia at some stage. Have no visas of yet, will a visa on arrival do in BKK? it is too late to appply now? I heard there were free 60 day tourist visas is this true? if so are they available on arrival?

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!

#1 Posted: 26/5/2010 - 21:44

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Strictly speaking you are supposed to have proof of onward travel to get the 30 day visa exemption stamp in Bangkok but I have yet to hear of anyone
    being asked for it or stopped from entering the country.I have read that the free visa scheme has been extended until 2011.I don't know where you are based but in the UK the Thai Embassy take 2 days but the consulates usually do it same day if you submit your docs first thing.i.e.photos(2?)passport and fee. and no, visas are not available on arrival.

#2 Posted: 26/5/2010 - 23:32

• kazmurph88

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2010

hey, Thanks, so we'l just head over and try our luck? will be heading either laos or vietnam so mite get another stamp on re-arrival? We're Irish so im sure the same goes with us as 4 the uk?

#3 Posted: 27/5/2010 - 00:35

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

hi there,
    You will need a return air ticket out of a Thailand airport within 30 days or a Thai visa. Without these you probably wont get on the plane. It is not the Thai immigration who stop you, it's the airline on instructions from Thailand.

A Thai tourist visa gives you 60 days, with an option to extend at a cost. Or max 30 days with an 'out of thailand air' ticket dated within 30 days.

From the UK Thai visas are sort of free; there is a 15 pound 'adminstration' fee for a single entry tourist visa (still down from 28 pounds). The postal service is very efficient using express post.

Crossing over a land border you will get only 15 days. I think you 'may' get 30 days at a land crossing if you have an 'out of Thailand' ticket within 30 days.

It's your holiday if you want to try your luck, but you have time to do it according to the rules by getting a visa or an air ticket.
    Enjoy,
    Mike

#4 Posted: 27/5/2010 - 19:48

• kazmurph88

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2010

Thanks,
    We do plan on leaving thaialnd within 30 days but chances are it will be overland....so we will have no proof...
    We will be re entering thailand again for another 2 weeks so shud b ok to get the 30 day exemption then,
    Dont know what to do now because we are still following the legalities, we wont be overstaying our visa exemptions or anything but if theres a chance we wont be let on the plane its too risky to just chance it!
    Anyone else ever been in this situation? if so how did it work out? :)

#5 Posted: 27/5/2010 - 21:07

• ZPeppiatt

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2010

Probably a bit late for you now, but we just flew into Bangkok for a 5 week stay in the region & were not at any point asked for proof of onwards travel within 30 days. (We also have planned to exit & reenter Thailand during our stay.) I also spent 7 months in SE Asia about 7 years ago - I realise things have changed a bit since then & they've tightened up on the visa extension thing, but we were never asked for proof of onwards travel then either, and I entered Thailand a total of four times I think.

Technically you can extend the 30 days by an additional 15 days (albeit at some cost) so even if they did ask, I wouldn't have thought they'd be that bothered if you could show you were leaving again within the extension period. (Or just explained about your intentions to leave via a land border & reenter.)

Mikethediver - thanks for the tip about possibly getting 30 days at a land border with proof of leaving within 30 days - I've been fretting over logistics for 2 days now as we have 24 days left of our holiday and are due to reenter via Poipet/Aran tomorrow! (Plan had been to visit LP in Laos but we've cut that out now.) Thought we'd have to detour to Laos Border and spend a night in Vientiane at some point, but will now try my luck tomorrow first.

#6 Posted: 1/6/2010 - 10:07

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi ZPeppiatt,
    What happened?
    Did you get 30 days at the land crossing with your air ticket???
    Mike

#7 Posted: 5/6/2010 - 18:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Various Border Crossings & 60 Day Thai Visa ... By StephJayne165 on 7 Feb 2012 1 1694 7 Feb 2012
Open and safe border crossings for visa runs for Thailand? ... By Kitty78 on 15 Jul 2008 1 2246 16 Jul 2008
Bo Y border opened for international border crossings? ... By millionilla on 11 Dec 2006 12 8154 1 Dec 2008
Border Crossings ... By allanlewis on 1 Apr 2010 0 1898 1 Apr 2010
Border crossings ... By ofer on 1 Jan 2014 3 1128 6 Jan 2014
Border crossings over Christmas ... By onefatmonkey on 1 Oct 2011 2 1544 1 Oct 2011
Border Crossings on Motorbikes....advice needed ... By moomin1802 on 28 May 2011 8 2973 30 Nov 2011
Border Crossings on Motorbikes....advice needed ... By moomin1802 on 28 May 2011 0 2370 28 May 2011
Northern Laos into Thailand Border Crossings? ... By guernseydan on 26 Dec 2010 2 3073 28 Dec 2010
overland border crossings - laos to cambodia - please help! ... By lizzyp83 on 20 Mar 2006 2 2487 21 Mar 2006