Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Latest visa info into Laos from DBP

Posted by Humusking on 7/6/2010 at 02:31

As of June 7th 2010
Now, prepare your selves for the border via Tay Trang, so you don't get angry at the customs officers. There are a few unexpected charges.
1. The visa costs btw $30 to $35 mostly. As an Australian I paid $30US 2. If it's a sat or sun you have to pay an extra $1US for overtime.
3. Add another $1US for processing.
4. Add $2US if you don't have a passport size photo. (They don't actually take your picture... Go figure) 5. Then you have a 3,000kip for the stamp plus 4,000kip for weekend overtime.
6. Finally (this is a classic) add 2,000 Kip for a temperature check that you get when you arrive.
Basically, a scam to get a few extra dollars from everyone. You cannot get around any of it as they won't return your passport until it's fully paid.

So, let's to the math. I arrived on a Saturday and had my own passport photo, so as an Ozzie, I paid $30 for the visa, an extra $2 for overtime and processing. Along with 9,000 Kip. This all calculates to approx $33.50. I recommend you have the 9,000 Kip if possible, but if not they will take dollars and return Kip with a terrible rate.

Just smile and move on. You won't remember it in 5 years :)

#1 Humusking has been a member since 7/6/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 7/6/2010 at 09:31 admin

Thanks for the report -- how was the road between Tay Trang and Muang Khua -- trip was taking 10-12 hours earlier this year...

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Humusking on 7/6/2010 at 09:42

A complete nightmare. 11 hrs of hell.
After numerous stops due to being bogged in the mud, we arrived at Muang Khua at 4:30pm. (Yes.. That's 11 hours of horror) If there is lots of rain , expect longer delays.

There is a 2,000Kip crossing you have to take to get to the city. A total of 20 metres to cross, as the bus didn't take us across. After a meal and 15min walk to see the whole town. We had a good night sleep and pancakes for breakfast. (10,000Kip)

Given the limited options of travel leaving Muang Khua we decided to take the 3Hr bus to Udomxai for 30,000 Kip on a very descent road. You will need another 5,000Kip to get to the bus 2.5km away from the main town or get lucky like me and we flagged down a truck and everyone jumped in for free. Departure bus times are 8:30, 12, and 3pm. The boat ride to Nong Khiaw was 120,000 Kip for the 4 hr ride but would only go of it would fill. From Udomxai we caught a connecting 5hr bus to Luang Prabang for 50,000kip from the main bus station. Buses leave at 8:30, 11 and 3:30.

Just got to Luang Prabang (7th of June) for some R+R. Looks like we will stay a while. Accom is cheap and amazing here.
Life is good

#3 Humusking has been a member since 7/6/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by wanderingcat on 26/8/2010 at 10:51

For future reference - list of fees for visa on arrival for those entering Laos at the Tay Trang-Pong Hoak border crossing:
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-photo/donpaschqual/1/1277268712/visa-fees-look-at-canada-haha.jpg/tpod.html

#4 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.