Visas and border crossings forum

Latest visa info into Laos from DBP

• Humusking

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2010

As of June 7th 2010
    Now, prepare your selves for the border via Tay Trang, so you don't get angry at the customs officers. There are a few unexpected charges.
    1. The visa costs btw $30 to $35 mostly. As an Australian I paid $30US 2. If it's a sat or sun you have to pay an extra $1US for overtime.
    3. Add another $1US for processing.
    4. Add $2US if you don't have a passport size photo. (They don't actually take your picture... Go figure) 5. Then you have a 3,000kip for the stamp plus 4,000kip for weekend overtime.
    6. Finally (this is a classic) add 2,000 Kip for a temperature check that you get when you arrive.
    Basically, a scam to get a few extra dollars from everyone. You cannot get around any of it as they won't return your passport until it's fully paid.

So, let's to the math. I arrived on a Saturday and had my own passport photo, so as an Ozzie, I paid $30 for the visa, an extra $2 for overtime and processing. Along with 9,000 Kip. This all calculates to approx $33.50. I recommend you have the 9,000 Kip if possible, but if not they will take dollars and return Kip with a terrible rate.

Just smile and move on. You won't remember it in 5 years :)

#1 Posted: 7/6/2010 - 02:31

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for the report -- how was the road between Tay Trang and Muang Khua -- trip was taking 10-12 hours earlier this year...

#2 Posted: 7/6/2010 - 09:31

• Humusking

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2010

A complete nightmare. 11 hrs of hell.
    After numerous stops due to being bogged in the mud, we arrived at Muang Khua at 4:30pm. (Yes.. That's 11 hours of horror) If there is lots of rain , expect longer delays.

There is a 2,000Kip crossing you have to take to get to the city. A total of 20 metres to cross, as the bus didn't take us across. After a meal and 15min walk to see the whole town. We had a good night sleep and pancakes for breakfast. (10,000Kip)

Given the limited options of travel leaving Muang Khua we decided to take the 3Hr bus to Udomxai for 30,000 Kip on a very descent road. You will need another 5,000Kip to get to the bus 2.5km away from the main town or get lucky like me and we flagged down a truck and everyone jumped in for free. Departure bus times are 8:30, 12, and 3pm. The boat ride to Nong Khiaw was 120,000 Kip for the 4 hr ride but would only go of it would fill. From Udomxai we caught a connecting 5hr bus to Luang Prabang for 50,000kip from the main bus station. Buses leave at 8:30, 11 and 3:30.

Just got to Luang Prabang (7th of June) for some R+R. Looks like we will stay a while. Accom is cheap and amazing here.
    Life is good

#3 Posted: 7/6/2010 - 09:42

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

For future reference - list of fees for visa on arrival for those entering Laos at the Tay Trang-Pong Hoak border crossing:
    http://www.travelpod.com/travel-photo/donpaschqual/1/1277268712/visa-fees-look-at-canada-haha.jpg/tpod.html

#4 Posted: 26/8/2010 - 10:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
latest visa price at Had lek/Koh Kong ... By sayadian on 11 Sep 2008 8 4366 4 Feb 2009