Visas and border crossings forum

Visa/Stamps nightmare

• LaraP

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2009

Hi,

I have 16 free pages left in my 32 page passport. I think am going to be needing 2 visas for a stay in China (one student followed by tourist) and then travelling in the following countries:

Thailand
    Laos
    Cambodia
    Vietnam
    China (Guilin) (not counted for above)
    Vietnam
    Thailand
    Malaysia
    Singapore
    (Possibly Bali)
    Singapore
    Australia
    New Zealand
    Japan
    Home

Sorry I know some of these are not technically covered by this site but I would appreciate it if someone could let me know whether 16 pages sounds enough or not. I've heard some border officials are reluctant to stamp on the same page as other stamps.

Rather annoyingly UK passports don't allow extra pages and the only way to get more is to renew the passport, which will be expensive given I only have a month before departure in September and I need to sort out my Chinese visas.

Stress!! :s

#1 Posted: 23/7/2010 - 04:29

• Advertisement

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

I can give you an idea for some of the countries as to what stamps/visas you will get. Most countries are happy to stamp several exit/entry stamps on the same page - I have a record of five entry and exit stamps on one page of my passport.

Hopefully this is of some help...

Cheers,
    Mark.

Thailand - entry/exit stamp only (unless you have a advance visa)
    Laos - requires one page for the visa plus an entry/exit stamp
    Cambodia - requires one page for the visa plus an entry/exit stamp
    Vietnam - requires one page for the visa plus an entry/exit stamp
    Malaysia - entry/exit stamp only
    Singapore - entry/exit stamp only
    Australia - entry/exit stamp only unless you are on a working holiday visa in which case you require a page for your visa
    New Zealand - entry stamp only

#2 Posted: 23/7/2010 - 19:33

• LaraP

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2009

Hey,

Thank you so so much for all your information - it really is very helpful!!

Can I just check whether the visa ones have the entry/exit stamp on the visa (so only taking up a single page) or on a separate blank page (therefore taking up a double page along with visa)? And can I just check that when you say, for example, Malaysia - entry/exit stamp only - are they both just on one single page?

Sorry to be so retarded but really don't want to be turned away from a country and forced home early because of not having enough pages! Was considering renewing my passport but the flipping great big spanner in the works is the fact my visa application for study in China (which cannot be redone now) has my current passport number on it and don't fancy the stress of trying to cancel that passport while keeping the visa intact and explain that to Chinese officials :s

As you can see, I'm stressing so your information is really appreciated and a great help. Thanks again!

Lara

#3 Posted: 23/7/2010 - 20:17

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

Hi Lara

To answer a couple of your subsequent questions - where Mark has mentioned visas (e.g. Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam), you'll need a blank page for the visa itself (which will take up that whole page) and then space on another page for the entry and exit stamps (size-wise the stamps take up about a sixth of a page each, though as Mark says you are unlikely to get more than 4 or 5 of them on a page).

Hope that helps

Chris

#4 Posted: 24/7/2010 - 08:50

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks Chris :)

To give you an idea on the entry/exit stamp versus the visa, take a look at http://gallery.me.com/tails101/100008 which shows a Lao visa and a page of entry/exit stamps.

Hope that clears things up better than my waffle!
    Cheers,
    Mark.

#5 Posted: 25/7/2010 - 01:41

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

Oh, lets try and makes some sense today... After "Thanks Chris :)", should be Hi Lara... d'oh!

#6 Posted: 25/7/2010 - 01:43

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

No worries Mark - and I know the feeling today!! :)

#7 Posted: 25/7/2010 - 13:51

• LaraP

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2009

Hey,

Thanks for all your help! It looks like I should be ok now as each time I'll be in Thailand should be for no more than 30 days so no need for a visa and going to drop Bali from my itinerary now!

Thanks again! :-)

#8 Posted: 30/7/2010 - 21:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.