Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Visa/Stamps nightmare

Posted by LaraP on 23/7/2010 at 04:29

Hi,

I have 16 free pages left in my 32 page passport. I think am going to be needing 2 visas for a stay in China (one student followed by tourist) and then travelling in the following countries:

Thailand
Laos
Cambodia
Vietnam
China (Guilin) (not counted for above)
Vietnam
Thailand
Malaysia
Singapore
(Possibly Bali)
Singapore
Australia
New Zealand
Japan
Home

Sorry I know some of these are not technically covered by this site but I would appreciate it if someone could let me know whether 16 pages sounds enough or not. I've heard some border officials are reluctant to stamp on the same page as other stamps.

Rather annoyingly UK passports don't allow extra pages and the only way to get more is to renew the passport, which will be expensive given I only have a month before departure in September and I need to sort out my Chinese visas.

Stress!! :s

#1 LaraP has been a member since 17/8/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by tails101 on 23/7/2010 at 19:33

I can give you an idea for some of the countries as to what stamps/visas you will get. Most countries are happy to stamp several exit/entry stamps on the same page - I have a record of five entry and exit stamps on one page of my passport.

Hopefully this is of some help...

Cheers,
Mark.

Thailand - entry/exit stamp only (unless you have a advance visa)
Laos - requires one page for the visa plus an entry/exit stamp
Cambodia - requires one page for the visa plus an entry/exit stamp
Vietnam - requires one page for the visa plus an entry/exit stamp
Malaysia - entry/exit stamp only
Singapore - entry/exit stamp only
Australia - entry/exit stamp only unless you are on a working holiday visa in which case you require a page for your visa
New Zealand - entry stamp only

#2 tails101 has been a member since 1/4/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 105
 Twitter 

Posted by LaraP on 23/7/2010 at 20:17

Hey,

Thank you so so much for all your information - it really is very helpful!!

Can I just check whether the visa ones have the entry/exit stamp on the visa (so only taking up a single page) or on a separate blank page (therefore taking up a double page along with visa)? And can I just check that when you say, for example, Malaysia - entry/exit stamp only - are they both just on one single page?

Sorry to be so retarded but really don't want to be turned away from a country and forced home early because of not having enough pages! Was considering renewing my passport but the flipping great big spanner in the works is the fact my visa application for study in China (which cannot be redone now) has my current passport number on it and don't fancy the stress of trying to cancel that passport while keeping the visa intact and explain that to Chinese officials :s

As you can see, I'm stressing so your information is really appreciated and a great help. Thanks again!

Lara

#3 LaraP has been a member since 17/8/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by chriswotton on 24/7/2010 at 08:50

Hi Lara

To answer a couple of your subsequent questions - where Mark has mentioned visas (e.g. Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam), you'll need a blank page for the visa itself (which will take up that whole page) and then space on another page for the entry and exit stamps (size-wise the stamps take up about a sixth of a page each, though as Mark says you are unlikely to get more than 4 or 5 of them on a page).

Hope that helps

Chris

#4 chriswotton has been a member since 7/9/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 92
 Where has chriswotton been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by tails101 on 25/7/2010 at 01:41

Thanks Chris :)

To give you an idea on the entry/exit stamp versus the visa, take a look at http://gallery.me.com/tails101/100008 which shows a Lao visa and a page of entry/exit stamps.

Hope that clears things up better than my waffle!
Cheers,
Mark.

#5 tails101 has been a member since 1/4/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 105
 Twitter 

Posted by tails101 on 25/7/2010 at 01:43

Oh, lets try and makes some sense today... After "Thanks Chris :)", should be Hi Lara... d'oh!

#6 tails101 has been a member since 1/4/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 105
 Twitter 

Posted by chriswotton on 25/7/2010 at 13:51

No worries Mark - and I know the feeling today!! :)

#7 chriswotton has been a member since 7/9/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 92
 Where has chriswotton been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by LaraP on 30/7/2010 at 21:19

Hey,

Thanks for all your help! It looks like I should be ok now as each time I'll be in Thailand should be for no more than 30 days so no need for a visa and going to drop Bali from my itinerary now!

Thanks again! :-)

#8 LaraP has been a member since 17/8/2009. Posts: 20

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.