Visas and border crossings forum

Thai Visa-Free 30 Days

• LaraP

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2009

Hey,

So, just a quick question. It seems like the whole buy a cheap AirAsia plane ticket is the best way to enter without any problems (or rather to board the plane to Bangkok in the first place).

Does it matter if you get a cheap flight sooner than the actual date you intend to leave? Do they just give you 30 days no matter what or would they only give me the amount of time until the flight?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 1/8/2010 - 03:10

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

That's actually an interesting because I would have thought they just give you the full 30 days.

However, when I applied for a 2-month Indo visa, my exit flight was actually about 6-7 days prior to the end of the 2-month, and it was that earlier date that they wrote down as my visa expiry. But this was a special visa that I had to send away for prior to departure.

Usually when arriving in Thailand they don't actually bother asking. But I just read another post that they are starting to check up on this a bit more. This causes problems if you plan on leaving Thailand overland, say into Laos, rather than flying out as your ticket is effectively redundant if you don't want to use it.

Aside from my arrival in Indonesia, I took my chances when crossing borders by not having an exit ticket, but had a typed up itinerary that showed my plans to leave the country within the visa period. Never had to use it though because no ever once questioned my plans when flying into Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. Likewise, I wasn't asked when arriving overland in Malaysia and Cambodia.

But it's always a risk.

#2 Posted: 1/8/2010 - 07:23

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Actually, just rethinking your question, the problem is (as you point out), associated with the airlines letting you board the flight in the first place. But again, none of the airlines asked to see my ongoing tickets - which was Malaysian airlines when leaving NZ, and Air Asia mostly after that.

#3 Posted: 1/8/2010 - 07:26

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Most airlines ask when you board a plane in Europe but I've never been asked to provide proof of onward travel or a visa in Asia.

You'll get a 30 day entry stamp on arrival no matter what date your plane ticket is.

#4 Posted: 1/8/2010 - 11:51

• LaraP

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2009

Ah cool - that's a relief to know it's always a 30 day stamp - hopefully they won't do what they did to you in Indonesia! It is very annoying with the airlines - the one I'm flying with just say they are entitled to ask but not sure if they actually do in practice - not really fancying taking the risk! Does anyone know if Vietnam Airlines ask for either of these before boarding?

#5 Posted: 1/8/2010 - 15:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thai Visa still free? ... By Mangala on 3 Mar 2010 1 1628 3 Mar 2010
Thai Visa free for Canadians if... ... By altmtl on 8 Nov 2012 1 1514 8 Nov 2012
free thai 2 month tourist visa ... By topogene88 on 9 Jan 2011 0 2805 9 Jan 2011
Overstay by a few days on Thai visa ... By shaana on 23 Nov 2006 1 2067 23 Nov 2006
15 days Thai visa expiration date and time ... By laurentiu on 14 Nov 2012 2 1065 15 Nov 2012
over staying thai 30 day visa by three days exiting at krabi airport? ... By tinamars2000 on 23 Feb 2008 5 2902 11 Mar 2008
Thai exit proof - land,sea or air?? Tourist visa exemption - 30 days! ... By lauraandmark on 16 Sep 2008 7 5073 17 Sep 2008