Visas and border crossings forum

Help/advice on ticket

• austintexas-

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2010

So I am planning to get a one-way ticket to BKK, but I have been told the airline might not let me on the flight without a visa or some sort of onward travel.. If I apply for a Thailand Visa before I leave so they let me on the flight, will the 30 or 60 days start counting down when I get there? Will it "pause" if I cross over into Cambodia? I am very confused on how this works, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 3/8/2010 - 23:40

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

The countdown will start when you arrive, and will expire when you leave. It doesn't 'pause' while you travel elsewhere.

You get the Thai visa's on arrival (actually, I think it's an exemption rather than a visa). You get 30 days if you arrive by air; 15 days if you arrive overland.

If you plan to arrive in Thailand, go to Cambodia then come back to Thailand for an extended period, you can apply for the 2-month visa, and use this for your return trip to Thailand. It will kick in on the day that you hand it over. (But I think it has to be used within 90 days of applying for it.)

If you apply for the 2-month visa, I suspect you may need to provide your exit flight details (I had to when applying for a 2-month Indonesia visa).

Also - I had heard that some airlines (esp from the UK) might not let you board if you don't have ticket for ongoing travel. I haven't heard that they would accept a Visa as proof. Double-check on that one.

There has been quite a bit of discussion on this on other threads - have a look around.

#2 Posted: 4/8/2010 - 03:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.