Visas and border crossings forum

Thai Tourist Visas Are Free.......

• JamieG

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Hi Guys,

I thought I would just post this for anyone wondering.

I am in the UK and this morning recieved my visa stamped passport back from the Thai Consulate allowing me 3 entries of upto 60 days!

It cost all of £8 for the postage and took 48 hours.

They are currently free, and if you are visited SEA like me, and think you will be in and out of Thailand more than once, it may be worth getting this before you leave, as not only will it make customs super easy but you get double the time of the free waiver visa regardless of how you enter Thailand (Air, Gorund)!

Just thought I would give people a heads up if they are unaware of this!

Jamie

#1 Posted: 6/8/2010 - 17:29

• Advertisement

• JamieG

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Just to make it clear, that is 3 x 60days!

#2 Posted: 6/8/2010 - 17:29

• bradmcfc81

Click here to learn more about bradmcfc81
    Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

TOURIST VISA FEE EXEMPTION
    Tourist visas issued between 11 May 2010 and 31 March 2011 will be issued without payment of the fee of £28 per entry. Other charges including £10 for issuing in person and £8 postage still apply. Fees for non-immigrant visas and transit visas still apply.

#3 Posted: 6/8/2010 - 18:58

• tangledjung-
    le

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2010
    Location Ireland

Cheers for the heads up JamieG.

Did you just send off the "Ab STANDARD VISA APPLICATION PACK" form?

It still has the pricing on there for each entry. (£28 per entry).

I'll be sending this off on Monday so just want to make sure that there isn't a separate form to avail of the free tourist visa.

B

#4 Posted: 7/8/2010 - 03:47

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Are all the Thai consulates in the UK giving multi-entry visas for free now?

Which consulate did you use Jamie?

#5 Posted: 7/8/2010 - 04:39

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hmm, just looked at the what the visa situation is here in France. The French language option doesn't work on the Thai consulate site in Paris but here's a translation of information I found on another site.

"All tourist visas for Thailand are free, from May 11th 2010 until 31st March 2011. This applies to ALL tourist visas (including double entries, if the consulate delivers them). This measure was announced on 2nd March 2010 in a news flash by the MCOT news agency.

Also National Park entry fees should be reduced by 50% (Daily News)."

http://www.thailande.free.fr/visa.php

If this is true then it's a change from last year's free tourist visa "special offer". Most consulates only gave free single entry visas and you still had to pay full price for multiple entry ones.

#6 Posted: 7/8/2010 - 05:11

• JamieG

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Hey Guys,

I applied through the Hull Thai Consulate, here:

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/

Yes, I did fill out the "Ab STANDARD VISA APPLICATION PACK", I got them to email me it as I couldn't Download it.

I also called them while filling out to ask about the charges, and they told me to leave that bit blank as the visa was free, and only include £8 postage.

So, what I did to be sure was fill in £8.00 by the Cheque part which is the form of payment I sent, and left a note next to it explaining that the visa was currently free and this was for postage.

It took 48 hours from sending via special delivery for my passport to be sent back stamped for 3 entries of up to 60 days each, to be used within 6 months.

If you intend to use all 3 entries at some point, which I do, as long as the last entry is before the 6 month cap, you will be fine.

I decided to get this type of visa to avoid any issues at the airport, as apparently this will stop them asking about onward travel (I think), and so that I do not have to rush when I am in Thailand.

Also, the fact you can go in by road and literally quadruple your stay limit, and its free (for now anyway).

Also, for anyone travelling with a partner as I am, you can actually send both visa applications and passports in one envelope. I sent in 2 to be sure, and they sent them back in one, along with 1 cheque. So, me and my partner ended up paying £4 each for postage (bargain).

Hope that helps,

Jamie

#7 Posted: 8/8/2010 - 18:34

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Thanks Jamie, that's interesting. Last year Hull were only giving out single entries for free (well free + "service charge")... you had to pay the normal price for multi-entry visas.

Maybe ALL consulates are indeed now giving out free multi-entries? If so it'll save a lot of hassle for a lot of travellers!

#8 Posted: 8/8/2010 - 18:54

• bronzedwarr-
    ior

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2007

Try the Liverpool Consulate.

Last year I got the 3 x 60 day entry visa for absolutely nothing.

All I had to pay was the postage. I live in Birmingham you see and the Consulate there was ( And still is ) useless where as the Liverpool one was mega helpful and very efficient too.

If my memory serves me right, I paid to send it special delivery, with a return SD envelope included and they got it back to me within about 3 days.

All I paid for was the two lots of special delivery charges ( About £8? ) and that was for two passports.

They did say if you turn up in person, there was a £10 service charge however which is acceptable as it is pretty much a while you wait service I believe.

I'm guessing it's the same deal this year...

#9 Posted: 8/8/2010 - 19:42

• bradmcfc81

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

SBE, the London embassy is where i got my info from. Check the link....

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/newversion/visa/visa_main.html

#10 Posted: 9/8/2010 - 06:56

• Advertisement

• bradmcfc81

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Also....Cheers Jamie for the heads up on being able to send two applications in one envelope. Pennies saved! Will be sorting the visas out for me and my partner this week.

#11 Posted: 9/8/2010 - 07:08

• tangledjung-
    le

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2010
    Location Ireland

Cheers JamieG, thanks for the detailed response!

#12 Posted: 11/8/2010 - 16:08

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Cardiff consulate
    Just phoned the Cardiff UK Thai consulate and he told me that visas are completely free if you come in in person and they only charge postage if you cannot.I asked about multiple entry visas. He told me there is no such thing but I would be able to get a visa for 2 or three entries.A matter of semantics you might say.

#13 Posted: 16/8/2010 - 16:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Free Thai Tourist Visas ... By nicolasmith83 on 6 Apr 2010 6 3137 16 Jun 2010
Free tourist visas August & September 2010 ... By Pablot on 17 Jun 2010 4 2291 17 Jun 2010
free thai 2 month tourist visa ... By topogene88 on 9 Jan 2011 0 2851 9 Jan 2011
Free Thai Visas ... By citizen on 6 Mar 2009 9 3013 12 Mar 2009
Rules for Thai Tourist visas changed agsin ... By somtam2000 on 26 Aug 2011 26 5039 6 Oct 2011
Thai consulate in Yangon - double entry tourist visas being issued? ... By hsoa on 14 Oct 2014 1 457 14 Oct 2014