Visas and border crossings forum

Visa's for Indo, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand = Headache for me.

• bedders

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2010

Having searched these forums to get an understanding of visa's i think i have a better idea but i need some help and reassurance before i spend all my money on nurofen.

Here's my headache. My basic plan is fly to Bali mid Sept then head to Vietnam by Air ( Hanoi ) then down through Vietnam, into Cambodia up to Laos then down through Thailand to leave for Aus mid december - early Jan time.

Questions

1)I have booked my flight to Bali, lands on the 17th of Sept. I understand I can get a visa on arrival for 30 days. It is cheaper for flights up to Hanoi with AirAsia (which will be via KL either Jakarta-KL or Bali-Singapore-KL) after the 30 day visa will have expired by say 5-10days. How much would a visa extension cost in indonesia so I can weigh up the costs of paying extra for the flight or extending the visa for just a few days.
    The 2nd part to this question, if i have the cheaper flight booked (later than 30days) will i be able to get the 30 day VOA with the presumption of then extending it, or to get the VOA do i need proof of leaving indo within the initial 30days??(hope that makes sense)

2)I am then looking at getting an e-Visa for Vietnam to get a VOA when i arrive. Would it be best to get that before i leave for Bali, or on net when in Bali. My next issue then comes with proof of leaving vietnam as i will be travelling overland to cambodia, how do i overcome this?

3)is pretty much the same issue as above, i understand i can get VOA in both Cambodia from Vietnam and i was looking at getting a tour operator to organise from Phnom Penh - Don Dhet/Khon for Laos, but still do i have to have proof of leaving each country, and how to i do that as i will eventually be traveling overland to Laos then overland to Thai.

4)Im planning on staying in Thailand for more than 15days, so is it better to get a tourist visa in say Vientiane for maybe 60days to be safe, or once in Thailand extending my visa for as long as i need to when im there, how much does it cost to extend?

im going to need to book my flight from aus before i enter thailand, and is likely to be more than 15days after entry, so similarly to #1 can i enter on a 15day visa under the presumption of extending as i will have a flight booked after the intial 15day period.

im not yet sure how long i will be in Thailand as my length of traveling around vietnam camb and laos is dependent on money and obv length of time in TL will be dependent on this as well.

I hope this makes sense to someone, as im not 100% it makes sense to me haha.

Thanks
    James

#1 Posted: 19/8/2010 - 18:51

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

1) Why not just get an INdonesian tourist visa beforehand? It's valid for two months and you can dodge the ridiculous VOA queues at DPS airport (2-3 hours in the queue not unusual).

2) VOA, get before you leave your home country.

3) Get visa on arrival at the Khmer border. Lao visa on arrival is now available at the Cambodian/Lao border. No need of proof of exit to my knowledge.

4) Get a tourist visa in VTE. Extension costs 1,900B for 14 days.

What is your nationality? That may effect some of the above!

#2 Posted: 20/8/2010 - 08:46

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

We travelled around a lot last year and the only time we were asked for proof of exit from the country I was travelling to was when we flew from Sabah to Singapore - and even then, with a bit of discussion and pleading we were let onto the flight. So I don't think you'll have a problem - they are pretty used to backpackers travelling by land across borders without any onward plans.

#3 Posted: 20/8/2010 - 14:42

• bedders

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2010

Cheers for the info, great help!!im British so don't think it will affect it?ill guess ill try and stick as close to that plan as possible!

being my first time traveling, and going on my own i would rather be safe than sorry, cheers for the heads up though sarah, i wont worry too much if i can't get anything organised then!!

#4 Posted: 21/8/2010 - 01:30

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm British too and know you can definitely get the Vietnamese VOA and Thai 60 day in advance - and would go along with the recommendation to do so. I haven't been to Indonesia but yes, assume you will be able to get the visa in advance as Somtam suggests.

#5 Posted: 21/8/2010 - 13:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
A starting point: thailand, cambodia,laos, veitnam and indo in 6 months!?! ... By tammivalentine on 31 May 2009 6 3585 2 Jun 2009
Thailand-Laos-Cambodia-Vietnam VISA HELP ... By dazg21 on 28 Oct 2010 4 5619 29 Oct 2010
Visa help for Thailand Laos Cambodia and vietnam ... By erikmaez on 29 Nov 2009 2 2263 5 Dec 2009
visa headache! ... By jaymez99 on 8 Mar 2009 1 1265 9 Mar 2009
23 year old M - -Thailand,Malaysia, Indo, Vietnam - Dec. 26th -end of Feb 2012 (maybe longer) ... By tomasello43 on 21 Jun 2011 0 1802 21 Jun 2011
Vietnam to Laos, Laos to Cambodia, Visa on arrival? ... By Gorgonzola on 19 Oct 2011 0 2319 19 Oct 2011
Visa help Thailand, Cambodia and vietnam ... By Northwig on 13 Mar 2014 3 833 13 Mar 2014
Visa - Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Indonesia ... By danky69 on 12 Oct 2010 2 3073 17 Oct 2010
27 y/o female heading from Northern Thailand thru Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Southern Thailand ... By starseed on 4 Mar 2011 10 3495 25 Apr 2011
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and back to Thailand - Good Plan? ... By PeterJW on 25 Sep 2011 3 3225 27 Sep 2011