Visas and border crossings forum

Visa help for a newbee traveller.

• wanderingk8

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2010

How do you go about backpacking without definate entrance and leaving dates - with regards to visa's. Because as far as I have understood you need to show proof of a flight leaving the country to obtain a visa at the border. But I don't want to be tied down to those sort of restrictions and obviously don't want to pay for flights I may have to cancel if plans change. HELP ME PLEASE!!!
    I leave on 01 December 2010.

#1 Posted: 31/8/2010 - 23:24

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11

Posted from within Vietnam.

We travelled overland through 7 land border crossings and were never once asked for proof of exit. The only place we were asked was flying from Sabah to Singapore as Singapore like to know you're leaving! But we managed to get away with it.

#2 Posted: 1/9/2010 - 11:22

• wanderingk8

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2010

Thank you travellingsarah! I had a slight panic attack yesterday! LOL :)

#3 Posted: 1/9/2010 - 14:09

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

totally no problems, they understand that a lot of people are backpackers and they won't ask you anything. Had a one way ticket to Thailand and it was just fine. crossed over to Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, back to Laos, China, Hong Kong, Macau, back to China and a flight back to Thailand and do it all again. no problems at all.

#4 Posted: 1/9/2010 - 14:39

• Abskii

Joined Travelfish
    26th October, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

svendj, did you obtain the visas previously or was it easy to get the visas whilst in-country?

I am working my way through this forum for info, but nothingbeats word-of-mouth!!

#5 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 21:47

• wanderingk8

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2010

I got my visa through the Thai embassy London. You just take all your doc's along with your passport and submit them - collecting a week later. Easy as pie! :) And it was free!!! :) Good luck!

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/newversion/visa/visa_main.html

#6 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 23:32

• smkuchta

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2007

If you have any skills with photoshop its not hard to mock up a "flight out of the country" for any date or destination you want.
    Can give you piece of mind if you need it.

#7 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 02:48

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Only "proof" you're likely to need is if/when flying from "home" (1st world) country into the SE Asia region. For example, one-way flight to Thailand from US/UK/EU/AU/NZ/etc. usually requires proof of onward air travel within 30 days OR a Thai visa already in your passport. It's an airline bureaucratic things I've encountered frequently, in which case you show ticket or visa or talk your way through it. Mocking-up a fake ticket is not recommended, as most modern check-in facilities can quickly verify it and getting "caught" might have dire consequences (i.e. you stay home and maybe get fined).

But on arrival and once you're in the region no one's going to be asking for proof of onward travel as you cross the borders. It's the long-haul airlines that tend to be sticklers, as they are legally liable to fly you back out if you're denied entry on arrival (even though that is very unlikely they gotta cover their arses).

#8 Posted: 20/11/2010 - 15:20

• momof4

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2010

Captain Bob - we will be flying into BKK from India - do you think we will have the same issue with the airline needing a ticket out before letting us board?

#9 Posted: 11/12/2010 - 11:46

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Are you Indian? Since Indians usually enter Thailand with Visa-On-Arrival, which requires proof of onward air travel, the airline staff are well-attuned to screening for this. Ironically though, it tends to mean they just wave people on western passports through. Reverse racism on their own countrymen???

#10 Posted: 14/12/2010 - 15:50

• Advertisement

• momof4

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2010

No, not Indian, American & Irish. We will be spending 2 or 3 months in India and then moving on to SE Asia, so I assume flying into BKK. We are a family of 6 so not such an easy matter to just buy a cheap ticket out and then cancel it. We are planning on wandering around between Thailand/Laos/Cambodia for quite a while. Would it be enough to show a ticket out from another country in say 2 moths time or do you think there won't be any issue? Thanks!

#11 Posted: 14/12/2010 - 19:59

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Momof4 - Probably best to get proper tourist visas for your group. They are technically "free" until at least March 2011, but of course some bureacracy invloved. You'd have three months within which to use them from date of issue, so where will you be then, India or prior to that? Equipped with visas they will let you board the flight without proof of onward flights.

#12 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 00:48

• momof4

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2010

sorry for hijacking your post, wandering8!

Eh, that's the problem, we are not arriving in Thailand till at least five months after we've left the states so no chance of getting visas before we leave. But since India is the last point before SEAsia, I'm assuming I can get visas in Delhi (or somewhere) if you think that's best. We will be going overland from Russia to India thru China first (primarily to have all those tricky visa places sorted out ahead of time!).

#13 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 20:22

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The information relevant to the Thai embassy in Delhi is here:
    http://www.thaiemb.org.in/en/services/visa.php
    Basically a bunch of mumbo jumbo but scroll to the bottom to cut to the chase.
    Shouldn't be a problem getting your visas there (or check with the consulates in Mumbai, Kolkata, or Chennai as per your travel route).

Seems the best strategy as it would really be bad to get hit with a "gotcha" at the airport without visas. Conversely you might get the visas and then not even get asked to show them, but better to be safe than sorry, especially with kids in tow. And with visas you'll get a 60-day entry.

#14 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 22:27

• momof4

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2010

Super, will do Captain Bob. Since we'll be in India hopefully around 2 months, plenty of time to sort it out.

#15 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 22:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.