Visas and border crossings forum

China to Vietnam

• sweetsofie

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2010

I will be traveling from China to Vietnam within the next few months.
    Does anyone have any suggestions about the best way to cross via land? I plan on getting my Vietnam visa once I am in China.

Many thanks,
    Sofia

#1 Posted: 1/9/2010 - 03:01

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

We travelled from Nanning - you could get a through ticket and take a morning bus from the road opposite the train station (in July 2009 it was 150RM from the Lang Dong Ticket Office on Chao Yang Road, bus leaves at 7.30 from the NanFang Hotel) which took about 3 hours to the border, then they transported you (on a golf buggy type thing) through border controls then picked up in another bus which went direct to Hanoi . It was easy and comfortable and took about 8 hours door to door.

An alternative is to go from Kunming to the Lao Cai (Vietnam - not sure what it's called on the Chinese side) crossing then take the train to Hanoi or go to Sapa etc. first. From memory though the bus from Kunming to the border takes about 12 hours. So it really depends where you are going in China and where you want to go in Vietnam i.e. whether you want to go to Sapa.

#2 Posted: 1/9/2010 - 11:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.