Visas and border crossings forum

Thai visa clarification

• mischiefmack

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2010

I am planning on heading to Thailand in October. I am a Canadian, I believe I don't need to apply for a Visa,(a trip less than thirty doesn't require a prior visa application) Is this correct?
    The total trip is more than 30 days, but half will not be in Thailand(exiting to go to Cambodia and Vietnam), but since we are beginning and ending our trip in Thailand, does this change things?

Thank you kindly.

#1 Posted: 8/9/2010 - 22:38

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

That's correct -- Canadians (and most people) get 30 days on arrival by air. If you're entering Thailand overland (ex. from Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, etc.) you get 15 days.

As long as you're not planning to spend more than 30 consecutive days in Thailand, no need to pre-arrange a Thai visa.

/ Manitoba girl.

#2 Posted: 9/9/2010 - 00:18

• bails87

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2010

I was about to ask the same question (but from the UK). I'm flying with Eva, I'll have a printed itinerary/rough guide, but no outward flights, and the total trip will be 50 days (inc Laos and Cambodia), with less than 30 in Thailand.

Will this be ok? Has anyone been stopped from boarding by Eva at Heathrow? It seems they're more likely to cause a problem than the Thai authorities.

#3 Posted: 1/10/2010 - 06:41

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010
    Total reviews: 4

Posted from within Vietnam.

In theory,you could have a problem with Eva Air.A couple of years ago,I was flying to Bangkok from London with Eva,and I only had a single ticket(actually the return half of a BKK/LHR ticket that I had bought in Thailand)I was stopped and questioned by Eva staff,about my onward travel.As I had a valid long term visa for Thailand they were satisfied,and I was allowed to board.The reason is that in theory you need to show proof of onward travel from Thailand(not necessarily a return ticket) to Immigration on arrival,and they could refuse you entry if you can't do this.Should that happen,the airline would be fined and bear the cost of re-patriating you,which is why they check tickets,as obviously they don't want this to happen.As I said,all this is in theory,I'm not saying it will happen,only that it's possible.I know people in a similar situation have booked(but not paid for or confirmed) an onward flight out of BKK,and shown this print out,which has been accepted,or booked a very cheap(Air Asia for example) flight which they then don't use.I would certainly check beforehand with Eva what their current policy is.

#4 Posted: 1/10/2010 - 09:21

• bails87

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2010

Thanks, I'll ring Eva today, and if needs be I'll book a dirt cheap flight out of Thailand at some point in the 30 days after I arrive.

#5 Posted: 1/10/2010 - 14:11

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

It's standard airline procedure for you to show proof of onward air travel out of Thailand if you're relying on the 30-day visa exemption (i.e. no visa). During check-in their computer will probably ping this pre-boarding requirement. Not much use in calling the airline to ask, as the person you talk to and the person who checks you in may see/interpret things differently. Many people slip through the cracks at check-in but many others (including myself numerous times) have been required to show this proof of travel before boarding.

Getting a proper tourist visa in advance would waive the onward requirement, although ironically many Thai consulates especially in the US and Australia are now requiring proof of onward travel before issuing a visa. Even having a ticket out in more than 30 days if you explain your plan usually suffices though.

#6 Posted: 23/10/2010 - 17:45

• mischiefmack

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2010

Hey, Thanks for all your replies. They were helpful!
    I arrived in Thailand this week.

I was not asked to show proof of onward air travel. All I had to show was my passport. However I had proof with me, and its certainly better to bring with then to be turned away.

One tip: I went though the regular immigration, not the visa upon arrival, section. (I was not sure which, so I thought I would mention it!)

#7 Posted: 23/10/2010 - 20:33

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Visa on arrival is only appilcable to a few nationalities (Eastern Europe, Russia, Saudi, India). See the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for details.

#8 Posted: 24/10/2010 - 01:50

• bails87

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2010

FWIW, I was asked by Eva, at Heathrow, to show proof that I would be leaving Thailand within 30 days. So I showed the Hat Yai-KL flight that I bought for 25 pounds (cheaper than a proper visa!).

The Thai authorities didn't ask for anything when I arrived.

But I've met plenty of other people who weren't asked to show anything to the airline, so it's hit and miss, but for me it was a good job I bought the ticket.

#9 Posted: 24/10/2010 - 11:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Help with Visa Clarification ... By akfisher on 19 Jan 2012 5 774 22 Jan 2012
Visa Clarification Questions...Thailand and Vietnam ... By sundevil556 on 24 Jan 2012 3 1880 28 Jan 2012