Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Australia-Singapore, Malaysia- no onward ticket.

Posted by fox80 on 15/9/2010 at 11:39

Ok..so we’ve booked flights from Darwin to Singapore with Jet star for next year. From Singapore would like to travel to Malaysia, Thailand and further SEA for a few months, backpacking. Don't intend to fly internally or buy exit/ return ticket yet as I don't know how long exactly we would like to travel. What is the likelihood to be refused to board the plane in Darwin, having no onward ticket or refused to entry Singapore, Malaysia for the same reason? (both Malaysian and Singapore embassy state on their website that you need onward/entry tickets).

#1 fox80 has been a member since 12/2/2010. Posts: 22

Posted by busylizzy on 15/9/2010 at 11:52

Many of us on here would say that we have managed to do get on a flight without an onward ticket without problems (me included). But it's always a risk, and it would make for a crappy start to a travel adventure if you couldn't get on the plane.

One way around it is to buy a cheap, throwaway ticket from Singapore to KL. You can often get those dirt cheap on Air Asia. (Just make sure it's for a flight that is within the visa-free period in Singapore. If you're travelling overland from that point on, you most likely won't be asked for onward tickets.

I just had a quick look on the Air Asia site, and they are selling some in Feb for SGD$8. You can't really go wrong with that for the reassurance factor. :-)

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by fox80 on 15/9/2010 at 12:16

Thanks busylizzy.That's a great idea.

#3 fox80 has been a member since 12/2/2010. Posts: 22

Posted by travellingsarah on 15/9/2010 at 16:35 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'd go with that idea too. Flying into Singapore from Sabah last year was the only time in the whole of our trip in SEA when we were asked for proof on onward travel. Fortunately with a bit of pleading and a 'look, we're travelling all over the place by land' wave of our passports we were allowed onto the flight, but it was a worrying 15 minutes so best to prepare just in case.

#4 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 679
 Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.