Visas and border crossings forum

Visa - Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Indonesia

• danky69

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2010

Hi everyone,

I am leaving for Thailand in January, then on to Laos, Vietnam and ending up in Indonesia for a total of 6 months (the return flight is booked but can changed if necessary).

Starting in Bangkok, down to Ko Samui etc., up to Chang Mai, across into Laos, Luang Probang etc, into Vietnam, Hanoi then all the way down with stop offs to Saigon, then on to Indonesia, bali, gillies, lombok etc.

Wanted a bit more info on Visa's for each place if possible.

As I understand it, we can apply for a 30 day Thailand visa here, but we have to be within 90 days of going, then we can apply for a 30 day extension once we are there. Does the first 30 days have to end before we can apply for a new one? Also is Bangkok the only place we can get them?

Same for the other countries really, will probably only need the 30 days in Laos, if that, but I could see us wanting to stay longer in Vietnam and Indonesia if we find a decent place to stay. Can we only renew out visa's in the capitals? Don't really want to get to the other side of Indonesia and find out we have to go back to Jakarta to renew it.

Where / when should we get our Visa's for Laos, Vietnam and Indonesia?

Any help would be much appreciated.

#1 Posted: 12/10/2010 - 19:23

• Advertisement

• siddy

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2010

This site has all the info you need for Thailand and Vietnam, for the others you might have to search somewhere else (if no one else answers).

This site suggests getting all visas for SE asia IN SE asian, one of the best places is Bangkok.
    There you can apply for visas for what country you want to go next.
    There is usually a 3-5 day waiting period.
    You can enter SE asian countries with no visa and get one at the airport. EXCEPT Vietnam, they will turn you around and send you back without a second thought - and you must arrive the exact day as resisted on your visa.

#2 Posted: 16/10/2010 - 18:59

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Lots of info scattered around this site, however in short:

Thailand
    - you will get free 30 days on arrival if you arrive by air
    - you will get free 15 days on arrival if you arrive overland
    - you can also apply for a free 60day visa via the Thai embassies

Vietnam
    - you can apply online for a pre-approval letter that you show at the airport to get a 30-day visa ( costs $20USD or so, and then it's another $25 for stamp fee on arrival). Letter takes 2 days or so to be processed. I organised my through this site: http://www.myvietnamvisa.com/
    - the pre-approval letter is NOT valid for arriving overland
    - You can also apply for a visa at a Vietnam embassy
    - I'm pretty sure you can apply for extended visa at embassy but do not know detail. Alternatively, I presume you can do a visa run across the border.

Indonesia
    - You can get 30 days on arrival for USD$25 (according to my notes for 1 year ago - check on the Indo embassy website)
    - You can also apply for 60-day visa ahead of time via Indo embassy. I paid NZD $70 which is approx USD$53.
    - If you get the extended visa in Indonesia ahead of time, and you arriving in Bali (and probaly elsewhere), make sure you go to the Returning Residents and Extended Visa holder's line - it's MUCH shorter than the Visa on Arrival line!

If you are getting visa on arrival in Vietnam, it's best to have USD to pay. You don't mention Cambodia, but this is especially true for Cambodia. If you try to pay in baht, for example, they will give you some exhorbitant rate. Also, Cambodian customs guys will try to charge you more, even at the airport. Politely stick to your guns, and just hand the US$25 over, no more. Don't show them your wads of money; have it ready to go in your passport.

The above costs are what I paid this time last year, and as far as I know they still apply. Best thing is to google the embassy in your own country for each of the countries you plan to visit to ensure you are getting the latest info that applies to your country. Requirements can differ based on your nationality - but generally UK, US, Aust, Canada, NZ and Europeans nationals are treated the same; Asian travellers have slightly different requirements.

Search other posts on this visa forum - there is a wealth of info that will address your queries, esp about border crossings.

#3 Posted: 17/10/2010 - 13:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam,Laos,Thailand,Malaaysia,Singapur,Indonesia ... By risk6 on 26 Dec 2011 1 709 2 Mar 2012
2 months in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam AND Indonesia ... By mar571 on 9 Nov 2010 15 9272 25 Nov 2010
38/F - travelling to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos (and possibly Indonesia) from Jan 2012 ... By michele1273 on 2 Nov 2011 9 2934 14 Jan 2012
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia Sept 2012 ... By RC2012 on 5 Apr 2012 4 6491 6 Apr 2012
Cambodia & Vietnam & Laos & North Thailand and Malaysia & Indonesia (Sumatra and Java) ... By schwev on 18 Nov 2013 0 455 18 Nov 2013
Northern Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam/Indonesia March-June 2014 ... By louiisamarie on 3 Feb 2014 3 1097 24 Mar 2014
Itinerary Help needed August - November - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia ... By shaunjansen on 17 Jan 2013 2 2005 18 Jan 2013
6-8 weeks in South East Asia - Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand ... By mjbeavis on 13 Sep 2010 7 7349 25 Mar 2013
Thailand-Laos-Cambodia-Vietnam VISA HELP ... By dazg21 on 28 Oct 2010 4 5320 29 Oct 2010
Visa help for Thailand Laos Cambodia and vietnam ... By erikmaez on 29 Nov 2009 2 2179 5 Dec 2009