Visas and border crossings forum

Passport advice and Don Kralor crossing

• newbiedanie-
    lle

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2010

Okay so I'm in Cambodia at the moment, heading shortly into Laos. When I arrived in Cambodia and got my visa the guy put it 3 pages from the back, leaving a gap of 17 pages! I have no idea why he did this but by the time he gave it back and I saw,it was already stuck down and too late to change. I still have a Laos visa and a Thailand one to get- will 3 pages be enough as I read somewhere they like you to have 3 pages after the visa they put in-which by the tinme i reach Thailand I won't have. Or would they be happy to put it in any of the 17 pages prior to my Cambodian one?!

Also, I know this is a subjct of controversy but does anyone have firsthand experience of getting a VOA in Laos from cambodia at the Don Kralor crossing? Its just that thetravel agents say yes, but some travllers say no ,and thetravelfish section on it says no-althouhg I'm not sure when this was last updated. I would like to get it on arrival tosave some cash (which I've gone through too fast due to the markets!) Many thanks for any help, and I'm sorry if this is similar to another post or just a silly question!

#1 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 15:50

• Advertisement

• smkuchta

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2007

It doesn't matter where they stamp or place your visa....immigration guys just look for a blank page.  As long as you have space for a visa your passport is fine, they don't need to be in any particular order.
    We crossed here in May 2009 and there was NO VOA coming from Cambodia to Laos, we got our Laos visa in PP, it was painless and was done overnight.
    This is from the sticky at the top of the Visa & Border Crossings Forum, our crossing I posted last year:
    Border name: Dom Kralor / Veun Kham (Cambodia-Laos)
    Date used: May 10 2009
    Visa on arrival available: No entering Laos, Yes entering Cambodia,
    Your nationality: Canada & US
    Comments: Quick crossing. The officials on both sides asked for $1 for a stamp fee, easier to pay than argue as transport is non-existent and your minibus isn't going to wait while you argue the merits of a dollar.

Took minibus from Stung Treng to border, met by Lao minibus on the other side, followed by boat to Don Khone. 3 hours end to end, seemed a bit chaotic bus to bus to boat but everything went smooth.

When you get off the bus in Stung Treng you'll be met by several guys asking you if you want to book for Laos. Go to the Riverside guest house to book, avoid "Mr. James" from the Sekong Star hotel as he is a scammer and will try and overcharge you greatly.

#2 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 23:57

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Laos visa on arrival IS available at that border now, as of beginning of 2010.

No sweat on the available pages. Doesn't matter what order they get used.

#3 Posted: 23/10/2010 - 17:30

• newbiedanie-
    lle

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2010

Thanks so much for the advice! I got my visa at the border and it went absolutley smoothly. Got charged couple dollars for it being a weekend-and then being after 4pm but oh well. Still worked out a little cheaper than getting it in Siem Reap. And they stuck my Laos visa on a random page halfway through so it all went well. Thanks again.

#4 Posted: 29/10/2010 - 15:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
border crossing Dom Kralor-Voen Kham ... By akalawman on 4 Jan 2009 3 3042 5 Jan 2009