Visas and border crossings forum

flying in 10 days no visa for thailand

• roccstar

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2010

Hi,

I will fly to Thailand in 10 days. I will stay there only for 2 days before going to Laos. My flight back from BKK is more than 30 days (42) after my first entry in Thailand. I just read in the forum that i need a proof that i will leave the country within 30 days.
    Unfortunately i do not have such a proof. I only have flight tickets from luang prabang to hanoi and one more within vietnam. i do not know whether my airline / the authorities will accept that as proof.
    Any ideas?

I am now considering to apply for a 60day tourist visa. However, I am running out of time. so i do not know whether i will get it in 1 1/2 weeks.

the other idea is to book a flight from bkk to some other country (airasia). though i would not take that flight and stick to my original plan, which means that i will fly to chiang rai (already booked that flight) and travel on to laos by bus.

Any thoughts? thank you very much in advance!
    I have already called emirates, but they couldn't help me.

#1 Posted: 7/11/2010 - 18:03

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Yes the official policy is for those relying on the visa-exemption deal (free 30-day entry stamp for 42 select nationalities) to show proof of air travle out of Thailand within 30 days. If you have a Thai visa in advance, however, it waives this policy.

In your case it's a grey area, since you have at least some air ticket showing travel between neighbouring countries within the 30 days, but not one out of Thailand. It's really a judgement call and can depend on how strict the airline check-in staff want to / are compelled to be.

Having been through this numerous times I'd say you'll probably be OK by showing the tickets you have and explaining your onward land travel if necessary. You might even get lucky and not be bothered at all but in my experience it's getting more strict if anything.

I'd still try to get a tourist visa at your nearest Thai embassy/consulate, as they are technically free of charge for the time being (they may charge a seperate service fee though). If you said which country you're in now I might have some more pointers. Good luck!

#2 Posted: 11/11/2010 - 21:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Visa query - Flying to Laos from Thailand without onward ticket ... By travelingrich on 16 Jan 2009 2 3064 27 Jan 2009