Visas and border crossings forum

Ubon to Anlong Veng

• lad

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2010

Hi am looking for the different options to get to the Thai/Cambodia border crossing near Anlong Veng starting from Ubon Ratchathani. Thanks

#1 Posted: 11/11/2010 - 18:08

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I know it's probably easier and cheaper to get the train to Surin and then a bus goes to Prasat but I don't know if anything goes to the border though there must be a songthaew running to Kap Choeng.The border is still a few miles from there.Maybe a motobike will take you.
    Anyway, I hope someone has more information as I'd like to cross that border coming the other way.
    Would appreciate if you post your experiences.

#2 Posted: 11/11/2010 - 20:06

• lad

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2010

Can someone confirm whether it is possible to obtain a Cambodian visa at the border closest to Anlong Veng?
    Thanks

#3 Posted: 21/11/2010 - 21:22

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I can't give an answer but had a look at Canby and they seem to think so:

http://www.canbypublications.com/cambodia/overland.htm#Anlongveng

Anyway, I'd be very interested in your experience as I said as I would like to try this myself but from the other side

#4 Posted: 21/11/2010 - 22:51

• lad

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2010

Hi,
    I have just returned from this trip.
    Had a contact from Chong Sa Ngam (operates a vegetable stall and has a pick up - sometimes makes the trip to Laos to pick up coffee) side who picked us up at Chong Mek after crossing over from Pakse , and drove us back to the Cambodia crossing - about 3.5 hours. Cost us too much but as time was tight worth it. With more time we would have taken the Pakse - Ubon bus - then made our way to Sisoket and looked for a way to get down to the border. We were kept waiting at Chong Mek for sometime but all worked out eventually. Stopped along route 24 at a flash road house with fashion shop adjacent - what a contrast to Laos and Cambodia. Was dark when we got to the border at Choam - feared that the crossing might be closed - but no problems getting a visa - with US dollars - No one else going either way at the time.
    After an overnight stay in a very comfortable guest house in Anlong Veng we started our cycling south from the grave site of the infamous Pol Pot. The best way to appreciate the Khmer people and their way of life is by cycling - and we had so many friendly encounters. After a leisurely 70km ride on day 1 we stayed overnigt at a homestay in a village near Srei Noy- and then a wonderful ride the next day to Siem Reap via the temples at Banteay Srei, Ta Phrom, Bayon, and sunset at Angkor Wat. The following day we cycled to Tonle Sap along the back roads and returned to Siem Reap through rice paddies and small villages with so many sights. Having a back up van made all the difference to the trip - no need to lug all our gear on panniers.

Thanks to Mongkheang - contact him via info@angkorgrandadventure.com

#5 Posted: 20/1/2011 - 20:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Siem Reap to Anlong Veng ... By vietabroad on 4 Apr 2012 2 2146 4 Apr 2012
Pailin and Anlong Veng transport advice- or somewhere else? ... By Bridgequeen on 7 Mar 2014 0 588 7 Mar 2014