Visas and border crossings forum

Getting from Vientiane to Bangkok

• yvonne_lefo-
    rt5

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2010

hello I have searched endlessly through websites but cannot find information on this topic, only on the reverse direction! We are wanting to take local and cheap buses from Vientiane to Bangkok and want to do it overnight. We are trying to get to the airport in Bangkok. I know I can catch a bus to the border from the Morning Market, also I can catch a bus to Nong Khai , should we go directly to Nong Khai to catch a bus to Bangkok? Can anyone tell me if they know what time the last bus leaves to get to Bangkok and the price? I really appreciate any advice, thanks!

#1 Posted: 22/11/2010 - 16:35

• Advertisement

• yvonne_lefo-
    rt5

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2010

Also can anyone tell me the fees at the border? Will we have to pay to leave or get a stamp out of Laos? Or get one into Thailand?

#2 Posted: 22/11/2010 - 16:39

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

There are night buses from Nong Khai to Bangkok and there are also tourist minivans that go direct from Vientiane to Bangkok. More information can be found on the VTE transport page here. Visas etc will depend on your nationality, but many nationalities get 15-days visa free entry to Thailand.

I'm not sure of the timetable info out of Nong Khai sorry.

#3 Posted: 23/11/2010 - 08:31

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Also buses from Nong Khai to Bangkok which go straight to the airport, best is to book these at a tourist office unless you speak affordable thai (this way you'll be sure to be on the correct bus). Normal bus leaves at 10 am or 6.30 pm (if you take this night bus you'll be arriving really early in Bangkok, I think around 4-5 am.

Though I'd prefer to take the sleeper train as it's much more comfortable than a bus! sleeper train leaves Nong Khai at 6.20 pm and another (NON-sleeper) leaves at 7.15 pm.

#4 Posted: 23/11/2010 - 17:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.